• Moderators
if he is going to special school isnt there one that takes the children at 3? thats when matt started and since then they have had them younger too (sorry dont really know how schools/nurseries work nowadays matts at "college" further ed Big Grin
matt was in nappies till he was 8 and he decided it was time to use the loo not us, trying to force him out of nappies actually set him back as he got very stubborn and controlling over his bowels Blush trust me all Children do things when they are ready and not when society says they will or wont do something hehe
There comes a point in your life when you realize:Who matters,Who never did,Who won't anymore...And who always will..
So, don't worry about people from your past,there's a reason why they didn't make it to your future.

• VIP
The law is definitely on your side in this. It is discrimintory behaviour.
They don't need to spend any money to create facilities to change a nappy. Just a small space in an area where his dignity would be preserved. This could be a changing mat on the floor in a corner that has a screen around it.

And if he can stand whilst they clean him then they can use the toilet area. I am sure they would clean up a child who had had an accident.

I can maybe understand it if a child didn't have a disability. It would raise staffing issues as a member of staff would always be out of the room changing a child.
But your son has a 1-1.

My son is 4. He starts school in September. He wears nappies. There was never an issue at nursery. There were other children in nappies too who didn't have any health issues.
Dodgy

• Administrators
(08-03-2010, 10:17 PM)Dawn Wrote: I can maybe understand it if a child didn't have a disability. It would raise staffing issues as a member of staff would always be out of the room changing a child.

By law now a school cant even refuse a young child of this age without disabilities away on the grounds of being toilet trained.
So there is no excuse as you rightfully said for a child with one to one.
I think it may because the worker they have assigned is not at the required training pay grade for personal care and as such they are using this as an excuse.

They legally have to meet his care needs and this is one of them so dont be afraid to challenge them on this.

Take advice from IPSEA on this as well as they can also fight this on your behalf too.
There details are http://www.ipsea.org.uk/

Im sure they will happily send a letter to the school reminding them of there legal duties and that should be enough alone Blush
Looking for sensory toys at affordable prices then look no further

Sensory toys for children with special needs CLICK HERE

• VIP
But to have a 1-1 they would have applied for funding to pay someone. If they are using the money to pay for somone who is not suitable then they can be made accountable for that.
Dodgy

• VIP
I had to go into nursery every day with my eldest to change him and I really wished I'd challanged them because it does make you house bound really as your always waiting for the phone call to go in and change him. With my youngest he goes to a different playgroup a couple of mornings a week so we can do the shopping etc without the screaming and tantrums etc and for a bit of respite, they are really happy to change him and always he comes home with a clean nappy. They think he needs a 1-1 for the time spent there but don't know if it will happen because of cuts etc does anyone know the best time to apply for a statement for him? he's 2 and 3months now and will be starting school at 4yrs but would getting a statement help him to get 1-1 for the rest of his time at playgroup if not and what age do you think he needs it? thanks