• VIP

hi my son who is 3 n half as been going to a private nursery since jan and they change my sons nappy who as a band 5 statement! which is full time 1 to 1! well the full 15 hours a week that he is there, he as a verbal diagnosis of autism and is to get a formal 1 in sept! now my son is starting a mainstream nursery in sept and when i went to this nursery to have a meeting about my sons needs they told me i would have to go to the school if my son soils his nappy to change him at any point while he is there! now to start with i didnt have a problem with this but today our speech therapist came to see us and she said she didnt agree with this and because he as the highest statement possible and because of his asd they should change him (they dont even have proper changing facilities for me to change him) and that i shouldnt have to be tied down to my house waiting for the phone call to go to change him! i hadnt thought of this, as i was looking forward to having a few hours with my son at nursery to get jobs done i struggle to do with him! i e shopping! just wondering what your opinion of this is or even better your experiances? are schools allowed to change their nappies? do you have to change you childrens nappies at school? its bad enough that they are starting my son 3 weeks after every1 else starts, then when he does finally start its 10 mins later than evert 1 else going in! and i have to start with him going for the 1st few weeks so they know how to deal with him and how to distract him and bring him out of a tantrum, the truth is there is no way of distracting him out of a tantrum you just have to let it run its course and i usually just lay him in bed till he comes round! myself and speech therapy both feel that they are putting theirselves and the other children before my sons needs as the are making it easy for every1 else then throwing my son in at the deep end with a class full of 29!! sorry im ranting now

thanks kerry x

• Administrators
theyre wrong to do that. it is disability discrimination, they will have to sort our facilities, if they didnt have ramps they couldnt turn away a child in a wheelchair! here is a news article on it http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/primaryeducation/5956231/Pupils-start-school-still-in-nappies.html it says that any school policy that makes a parent come in is discriminative and if the child is left soiled can be classed as a form of abuse!

our son started in april and he doesnt have a statement yet but they change him every day, he needs changing 2 hourly because of his high urin output so i change him at 12 before he goes in and they change him at 2, theyre happy to do this when he goes full time too!

xx

• VIP
yea thanks thats kinda what my speech therapist was trying to say, think i might have to contact parent partnership in september depending how it all goes! thanks agen x

• Moderators
things have changed since matt was that age as i was told he had to go to a mainstream nursery even with the diagnosis of autism and having no speech or understanding and being in nappies he could only stay till 11 as he would need a nappy then and they didnt change them but as he had been in full time nursery at the college i didnt want him to go to part time so i contacted local special needs school that took him no problems but he is quite severely autistic and reading things on here sounds like he would fit adhd too so knew he wouldnt go to mainstream school as he was bullied at the college nursery to a small degree by a girl who picked on him cause his name was matthew (same as her brother) till the last day when matt put the giant cushion on top of her and sat down lol why he couldnt do that at the beginning i dont know.
like lucy says it is part of his disability so they should accept it and hire someone who does it especially if his statement says 1:1
There comes a point in your life when you realize:Who matters,Who never did,Who won't anymore...And who always will..
So, don't worry about people from your past,there's a reason why they didn't make it to your future.

• VIP
yeah harvey as no speech, no communication or interaction skills tho we are doing quite well with pecs at the moment Smile no play skills and very little understanding so he is what i would think as classically autistic which makes it worse cos there is no way of knowing how he will be getting treated in nursery unless he comes out with a soiled nappy but thats not going to happen if they going to be calling me to change it!! i could understand if he didnt have a disability and they wanted me to change him but what if he still in nappies at 5 or 10 years, am i always going to have to be tied down to the house at the side of the phone! well no cos he will be going to a special school when he is full time but thats beside the point!! lol just wanted others experiances and opinions before i go to nursery in sept all guns blazing saying i have rights and then be wrong!! lol thanks kx