• VIP
Thank you Daniel and Lucy for setting up this forum and I hope is will be very sucessful.

My name is Helen I have a lovely little boy who is 3 in 2 weeks time he has very little speech and mobility problems. We have not yet had a formal diagnosis but austism has been mentioned. It's very isolating and I often feel very alone. We have drifted away from some of his friends because socializing is difficult and I know find lots of reasons not to go out. It would be lovely to talk to some other people who understand.

Look forward to chatting to you all here.

Helen xx

• VIP
Hi Helen, I'm a newbie myself, another new member is most welcome Smile

I'm sure this will be a good place to make new friends, share information and maybe not feel so alone with our problems.

Maggie x

• VIP
Thank you for your reply it is much appreciated. Look forward to talking to you on here.

Helen xx

• Administrators
Hi helen thanks for joining.

The whole reason we started this forum is because we understand how isolating it can be for a parent whos child has disabilities. People who don't have to care for their child in ways we do just don't understand alot of the emotions we go through, its almost like a journey with different phases.

As another member said, diagnosis is the key, it really does help you move forward and I really hope you get somewhere with this soon as it really does help!

The other reason we've created the forum is to bring all the information we have had to trail through over many months, together. There are so many things you can access when your child has disabilities to make your life as a parent easier. Yet I initially found it quite complex knowing where to find out about and access services (as often the service providors don't even realise they can help unless you tell them).

Hopefully by putting mine and everyone elses knowledge together in one place we can help others in future to access things quicker!

Once again thanks for joining

Lucy xx

• Administrators
Hello Helen,
Thank you for joing the forum.
Our son was ill for over 8 months and despite numerous blood tests etc they could not find anything wrong.
They were ruling out all the small conditions and saying oh if its not that it will just be something small and nothing to worry about,the doctors famous words were "These things can just happen and one day he will switch on".
Well eventually after numerous problems such as delayed vision,delayed mobility,late delay in speech,late delay in almost everything and failure to thrive we were taken a little more seriously and they performed more tests and we were informed our son had a condition called Cystinosis which only 2000 people world wide suffer from so it was a hammer blow.

At the same point though a relief because we finally had an answer to our issues.

I think the key thing to remember is YOU KNOW YOUR CHILD better than anyone and if somethings not right keep going until they help you.

What sort of issues is your child having?
Looking for sensory toys at affordable prices then look no further

Sensory toys for children with special needs CLICK HERE