• VIP
(03-06-2010, 10:25 AM)Lea89x Wrote: From the things i have just been reading on this form.. My little man looks like hes falling under the autism section.. However at the last paed appointment the paed said.. 'I thought he had servere autism, but lookin at him now he has eye contact which autism children dont have', So she wudnt send him for the autism test which she was planning on doing..
Realy anoys me though as he ticks nearly everything on the autism list.. & the paed etc only ever see them for 1/2hour once every bluemoon.. (And even the time before when we seen her he shown hes true colours as he went to hit my darling daughter over the head with a chair.. & trashed the consulation room.. & all this was stated on her revious report and just cause she met him on a good day, the time after she now says she doesnt think autism come in as he has eye contact.. wtf)..
So we still none of the wiser.. only things we can go by are 'Severe global development delays/ Severe behavioural problems/ Severe speah & language delays/ Severe learning difficulties/ Glue ear/ Flat footed/ Hole in heart/ Heart murmor/ Sleep apneoa (UAO)'.. Soo stressful not having a diagnosis.. EEEEEEEEEEEEEKKKKKKKKKKKKKK!

Dont let him fob you off hun, I would demand he is given the assesments for autism if, as you have said he "tick so many boxes"
My son Noah has Autism and his eye contact is fleeting to say the least. Yet if he wants/needs somthing he will make eye contact with you. Autism has so many different levels it can not be discounted purely on one "requirment" alone.
Ask for a second opinion or a refferal to special needs department/senco
Hugs hun I know how frustrating it can be trying to get people to hear you and understand x

• Administrators
How annoying that they refuse to diagnose based on a myth about eye contact.
In fact im off to start a new thread about autistic myths.
Looking for sensory toys at affordable prices then look no further

Sensory toys for children with special needs CLICK HERE

• Moderators
(03-06-2010, 12:57 PM)Daniel Wrote: How annoying that they refuse to diagnose based on a myth about eye contact.
In fact im off to start a new thread about autistic myths.

lol i have just put this in that thread

like polomaplus3 says lea89 i would insist on them sending him for the test, when matt was diagnosed i was given a leaflet and asked if he did at least 5 of the things on it when i got to about 9 she said thats enough lol, shame i dont still have the leaflet but it was 14yrs ago, at the time i would have said he had eye contact but because i ticked so many of the other things like obsessions and flapping, rocking and others it was seen as obvious.
corinne 22
There comes a point in your life when you realize:Who matters,Who never did,Who won't anymore...And who always will..
So, don't worry about people from your past,there's a reason why they didn't make it to your future.

• Administrators
The thing with these so called tests now days is they are so detailed in every sense and so many boxes have to be ticked.
Im sure they asked us about 80 questions
They then broke it down into 4 sections
Section one-Euan showed autistic behaviours for sure
Section two-Euan showed autistic behaviours for sure
Section 3-Euan showed many autistic behaviours
Section 4-Not enough boxes were ticked to qualify for autistic behaviours

Therefore they said he didnt meet the requirements of a diagnosis at this stage although they said they also witnessed autistic behaviours Angry

Ejits pure Ejits!
They would rather him start school and then be diagnossed and be delayed rather than just help him now.

On another note though apart from an actual diagnosis could members kindly share with me what improved if anything once they did get a diagnosis.
As i suppose sometimes i kid myself life will be easier once they give a diagnosis but then deep down i feel it will be exactly the same....
Views?
Looking for sensory toys at affordable prices then look no further

Sensory toys for children with special needs CLICK HERE

• Moderators
personally i just think that with the diagnosis you stop worrying about every little thing they do thats different like walking on tiptoes or rocking and accept its just part of the condition, but it also means that they get taught a different way as there is a difference between learning difficulties and not learning because they are autistic if that makes sense
corinne
There comes a point in your life when you realize:Who matters,Who never did,Who won't anymore...And who always will..
So, don't worry about people from your past,there's a reason why they didn't make it to your future.