• VIP
Hi again, well the only progress she has made, which yes i am really pleased with, but it doesnt seem like enough is that she can now write her name (its not very clear to someone that wouldnt know her but its good for her age and beens as she is autistic) other than that she has had no progress with anything, she has gone backwards with toileting (having more accidents) and also she mostly plays alone, whereas at nursery she would play alongside others and use them if she needs them to help her with things, but at school she doesnt. She hasnt made any progress on her IEP she only had 2 targets but she hasnt acheived either of them.
We visited one special school before she started here and we loved it but i felt pushed into trying mainstream by both my husband and the professionals. I am planning on going back there again to have another look around and to talk to them more about her to see how they think they could help to see if i feel that would be better.

• Registered
your arguement can be that she isnt making good enough progress, i think some people have to disspell the old myths about going into a special school as they are great places now. my son is going to a school or unit where there is play based learning - doesnt that sound great. have you thought about suggesting a part time in a unit and part time in mainstream. some schools have a unit attached to a mainstream school and they do take them into the mainstream side when they are ready for short times.

• Registered
the educational psychologist was telling me how great these place are, there like nurserys and so all about the child. not like harsh mainstream school where they make your child grow up as fast as possible. god i cant wait to get my son into one. but its so hard and the education board is against people who really need to go.

• Administrators
its called lindens primary school its classed as walsal but it literally is the border. they do have a website and mr griffis the head teacher is fantastic, very approachable and helpfull. i am arranging to go round again with the lady who runs the outreach programme so i will know alot more then about what support they offer. there is also a school by me with a similar system for children with speech, language and communication problems, that is in great barr.

http://web.glenmead.bham.sch.uk/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=62&Itemid=65

http://www.lindens.walsall.sch.uk/wa/homedir/outreach.htm

xx

• Registered
i wonder if the stats are changing to 1 child out 70 has some form of ASD are they going t open more special units? i know it could be that they pick up on it better now and if early intervention is very important, shouldnt the right education and setting be there for them?