• VIP
I hate the way these actually work, and i advice anyone who has changes send them in via black and white and keep copy and proof of postage (rec del to show they got it etc)

As im currently repaying £40 a month to the HMRC from when my partner was with hes Ex (sams biological mum) we went into the office several times to tell them he was then a single father living alone, and hes ex was no longer there so he needed to swap to independent claim. & he even started to get letters just in hes own name. Then 1 morning a letter dropped through to say he owed £2000 an somthing pound to them as hes ex hadnt gone into the office's to cancel on her behalf. and because they cudnt track were she now lives my partner is made to pay it all!!!!!
We have tried to get the amount squashed and tried to get them to half the payments but never had much luck.
Unsure on how much is currently owed but i certinly hope they never hit us again as its horrid to know hes in debt with them!

• VIP
Hello

We have been told we owe £8,000 and i have appealed but they said its not there fault, we got stuck in the system everytime i update them with changes this happens and they put us on manual payments and then when the system was up and running the money went automatically into our bank account and then they took it back out. But they say these payments are from 2004. I have appealed its their fault but they are not moving on this, i have had a benefits maximisation person onto this just to check this out not much luck, also the local mp for our town he didnt help much they dont want to help they just want the money for being an mp! Upto now we still owe them £4,000 according to their records so are monthly awards are reduced. I will keep appealing but it gets me know where.

There are a lot of people in the same boat, its just a pity no one is helping us, it doesnt seem like appealing is helping anyone more time wasting.
xAngry

• Registered
The things to remind them of are that;
1. any repayment schedule must be affordable and maintainable, your appeal can even go to county court for a judge to set the payment levels if after appeal you are still not happy.
2. before current payments can be reduced a financial asessment has to be completed to avoid causing severe hardship.
3. there is no set time for overpayments to be restored to HMRC, guidelines ask them to aim for 24 months but they do have flexibility to stretch the time as far as is needed.

• VIP
Diane i looked this up and it basically tells you everything that fatherjack said but it has a bit more detail to it. http://www.tameside.gov.uk/welfarerights/taxcredits/overpaid
HeartHeart Stacy HeartHeart
Mother to Terry 10 MLD + ADHD, Nicole 9 Cri-du-chat Syndrome ADHD Asthma GDD Coarctation, Jessica 4 Cri-Du-Chat Syndrome GDD Reflux

• VIP
(07-31-2010, 09:06 PM)Lea89x Wrote: I hate the way these actually work, and i advice anyone who has changes send them in via black and white and keep copy and proof of postage (rec del to show they got it etc)

As im currently repaying £40 a month to the HMRC from when my partner was with hes Ex (sams biological mum) we went into the office several times to tell them he was then a single father living alone, and hes ex was no longer there so he needed to swap to independent claim. & he even started to get letters just in hes own name. Then 1 morning a letter dropped through to say he owed £2000 an somthing pound to them as hes ex hadnt gone into the office's to cancel on her behalf. and because they cudnt track were she now lives my partner is made to pay it all!!!!!
We have tried to get the amount squashed and tried to get them to half the payments but never had much luck.
Unsure on how much is currently owed but i certinly hope they never hit us again as its horrid to know hes in debt with them!

If you have an overpayment with an ex-partner
When you claim tax credits with a partner (called a joint claim), you agree that you will both be responsible for any overpayment. This means that if there is an overpayment from a joint claim, HMRC can ask either one of you or both of you to pay it back.
If you have separated from a partner, it is worrying to receive a letter asking for all of the overpayment and you might feel it is unfair that they are asking you for the full amount.
You can still dispute or appeal the overpayment.
If you agree to pay the money back, you should contact HMRC to talk about how much you will pay. They should only ask you for 50% of the overpayment and should ask your ex-partner for the other 50%.
If you and your ex have agreed to pay a different amount each, you should tell HMRC.
Even though the law still allows HMRC to take back the whole overpayment from just one of you, they now say that as long as you pay your part of the overpayment as agreed (normally 50%), they won’t ask you for any more even if your ex partner cannot be found or is unable to pay.

This is on http://static.advicenow.org.uk/files/tax-credit-overpayments-2010-77.pdf PAGE 17
WITH MORE INFORMATION ON http://www.advicenow.org.uk/advicenow-guides/problems-with-benefits/tax-credit-overpayments/
HeartHeart Stacy HeartHeart
Mother to Terry 10 MLD + ADHD, Nicole 9 Cri-du-chat Syndrome ADHD Asthma GDD Coarctation, Jessica 4 Cri-Du-Chat Syndrome GDD Reflux