• VIP
I'm considering taking the Children to disneyland next year, mainly because Matthew has really started to recognise familiar characters and I want to use it to his advantage whilst we can! He loves Mickey Mouse, Lightning Mqueen and the Toy Story characters amongst others, and I feel its somewhere he'll get as much out of as his sisters.
I think we'll struggle moneywise as we need passports for at least 4 of us as well, so I wondered which was the better charity to apply for for funding for a bit of help? I've never applied for anything like this before, as I've always figured it makes more sense to save them for if he needs really expensive equipment when he's older. However some of them obviously allow you to apply once a year or so, or are primarily for holidays so maybe it would be better to try one of those?
I'm also worried about the flying, we have flown with him before but he was only a baby and used a normal buggy until boarding, then we were able to hold him in our seats. Now he would need an airline seat. I know they are quite big, and I think that if we were able to take a pillow for him to lean on, he'd be fine in the seat, would this be allowed? Or would we have to use an airline that hires the (stupidly expensive) disabled seat out?
What is the deal with wheelchairs? I've heard things like you aren't able to use your own wheelchair to transfer to a plane, but he couldn't use a basic adult one! Do they definetely get them off the plane first and have them waiting to meet you? When we took his pram they refused that and we had to carry him through the airport to the baggage collection. Also, can you still benefit from the cheap online prices, or do they go up because you have to ring them to declare disabilities?
Any advice welcomed!
Heart Raising the awareness of encephalitis, one baby step at a time.....Heart

• Administrators
Are you eligable for family fund? I would firstly look at them, we got £950 off them lastyear in thomas cook vouchers and managed to book disney for 4nights/5days for all of us, we self drove which was ok actually (would that be an option...easier than flying!!) And we got a deal that included all our food as it can be quite dear over there foodwise! It is a great experience especially with the disabled tickets, the characters really come over to you and make a fuss when you have one, you don't need to queue euan was totally amazed! Wonderfull photos and wonderfull memories Smile xx

• VIP
We can get family fund, although not till later in the year as we had a new cooker off them this time round. I'm surprised it was that much though, thats very good! We once had £500 off them for a haven holiday which ended up being pretty naff (not their fault, the site we wanted didn't have disabled vans, and it was over £600 in school holidays :\)
I have thought about driving, but with the cost of petrol, ferry costs, upgraded insurance and breakdown cover, as well as the long journey with three of em terrifies me!
Will have to have a good think!
I know they wouldn't have known Matthew was disabled last time we went, but characters would still come up to the pram to wave. There was one funny moment when Sully from Monsters Inc came up to the pram and was playing hide and seek, his costume obviously meant he couldn't see too well, as Matthew was actually being held by his daddy then! I think he got quite embarrassed when he realised it was an empty pram!
Heart Raising the awareness of encephalitis, one baby step at a time.....Heart

• Administrators
(07-31-2010, 08:11 AM)mummy_of_matty Wrote: I have thought about driving, but with the cost of petrol, ferry costs, upgraded insurance and breakdown cover, as well as the long journey with three of em terrifies me!
Do you have a motability car?
If so no insurance payment is needed in France,just need permision to take the car which they issue a certificate which costs around £30 and the RAC upgrade was £17 at the time for me.
The petrol all the way from Birmingham through to Paris was one tank Blush I dont know how though.
Coming back it was a tank and a quater.
The ferry was only £50 for the family as we paid per car.

So whilst it cost us these bits here it was at the time far cheaper than paying to fly which was far more around about £400 more.
If you dont want to self drive you really should look at the EURO TUNNEL as that takes you into the park itself which is very useful with all the bags and the wheelchair access would be far easier and less trouble than a self drive and slightly cheaper than the plane if i remember correctly.
Looking for sensory toys at affordable prices then look no further

Sensory toys for children with special needs CLICK HERE

• Administrators
Lol yer the characters are good anyway but particularly with the disability pass, they aren't rushed at all and see u aside from the crowd. Driving didn't cost us too much in petrol, we split it in 2 on the way their, drove to dover and stayed their overnight, got the ferry first thing in the morning, ferry cost was included in the package, we did go in march tho in school time but we requested it and the school were fine. Children weren't too bad Confused, it was copeable with dvds on lol x