• VIP
thanks for sharing ur story x

• Administrators
that was really fantastic! i can totally relate to alot of it and matty is a true credit to you, he is so delightfull, really wish we'd had more time together as a group on the day out...bit difficult in a theme park tho Blush lets hope one day people are more educated and less ignorant than alot in society today Angel

xx

• VIP
Thanks for sharing your story,good to read all about your little guy.x

• Administrators
I was touched by the following:

Telling my husband was extremely difficult - I was at the hospital on my own a lot of the time as he was looking after our daughter. I remember him coming to see the consultant with me, and him asking her if it was permanent. When she said yes, he got up and walked out in tears.
Up until then I was relying on his positivity to get me through it, as he firmly believed no harm could come to his son, and seeing him come to terms with it was incredibly difficult.

As a dad i can understand how hard it is to face upto having a diagnosis that changes everything as i know from my point of view i want to do everything i can do to keep the family safe and everybody happy and when something changes that its hard to admit you cant do nothing about it and you cannot protect your family from this and coming to terms with that can be hard.
I know mums go through that too but as a father we feel like its our job to repair the wrongs and make everybody happy but when we cant do that its a blow.

Trying to be there for others when you need a cuddle can be hard too and it was so nice to hear the father mentioned in this way as it shows how it effects everybody.

Heres a question to open up to the ladies then.....
How did your partner/husband/childs father cope when they learnt of the diagnosis?
Was it a bury the head in the sand,the pretending to cope,the putting the face on or was it real emotion?
I know it hit me hard to the point i burst out crying in the car on the way home when driving Blush
Looking for sensory toys at affordable prices then look no further

Sensory toys for children with special needs CLICK HERE

• VIP
Steve is the type of person who ignores what he doesn't want to hear most of the time. Up until that point he was adamant that Matty would be fine in a little while and whilst deep down I knew that wasn't true, it was easier to cling to Steves beliefs than try and make him face it.
It was good that that day happened, although heartbreaking, as it did make us discuss some things. Even now, he goes round with the firm belief that Matty WILL walk one day, whereas I try and be more realistic / pessimistic / call it what you will! However if he wobbles from that belief as he does occasionally, and says things to me like 'do you think he will? what do the doctors say?', then we kind of swap round and it becomes me reassuring him. So we do take it in turns to be the strong, optimistic one.
Steve can also be very sensitive if he thinks someone is making fun of Matthew, and I often have to try and calm him down so it doesn't turn into aggression. He's a very calm person usually, but thats his trigger. He would walk to the ends of the Earth for his son, and I know it breaks his heart that he can't do anything about it, that he couldn't prevent it, and that he can't make it all better.
Heart Raising the awareness of encephalitis, one baby step at a time.....Heart