• Registered
Hi my son has pdd and autim and was wondering who has their child toilet trained. My son is 5 and I got him dry at just turned four and he is mostly dry throughout the day. He has accidents and can't take care of his personal hygiene very well but will wash and wipe when I tell him to. He is in pull ups at night though and cant seem to get him dry. Health visitor says its because he has a poor diet (will only eat a few things) thats why he poos at night.

How old was you child trained, if indeed they are?

• Moderators
matt wasnt trained until he was 8, cant say trained really as he refused all attempts for us or respite to get him out of nappies to such an extent he ended up in hospital with stomach problems due to refusal to poo. we had a commode in his room and in the back room as he was scared of bathroom where we lived as it had a shower right next to toilet so he hated going in there and when we saw him pull his face we would chuck him on the commode Big Grin, cant help with the overnight toileting as that was accidental, we forgot to put his nighttime nappy on and we heard him weeing the next morning went running in, in a panic to see him leaning over his bunk bed and peeing into the commode that was near the bed lol shame he hasnt got as good an aim in a proper toilet there he is typical bloke, wont put the seat up and doesnt wipe up his spills afterwards Angry.

will he drink orange juice? or any drink that will make it easier for him to go? it could be that his body has got into the habit of going at night as most ppl go at around same time each day/other day but having a fussy eater unfortunatly makes this hard to change but its a routine and thats something all autistic children love matt would never go at school only at home but now he goes when he needs to, it comes with age
There comes a point in your life when you realize:Who matters,Who never did,Who won't anymore...And who always will..
So, don't worry about people from your past,there's a reason why they didn't make it to your future.

• Registered
Hi

Corinne, have tried everything but he just goes all the time at night. Incontinence discharged him as he's dry during the day. I have got so used to not doing nappies during the day and don't really just want to change nappies anymore.

He's got the ability otherwise he wouldn't be dry during the day. I am just going to keep trying. I don't get free nappies for him or anything, can't be bothered applying as am always filling in paperwork!

Anymore tips anybody, all suggestions welcome.

Thank you

• Moderators
i dont think there is any paperwork/forms for nappies unless its changed its just a phone call but i used to prefer pampers to the ones we got given but they prob better now hehe.
incontinence shouldnt really abandon you as they havent done their job if he isnt continent surely?
have you got a padded mat (cant remember name) to put under his sheet to see what happens if you dont put nappy on at night? or these padded pyjama bottoms? does he use toilet in day or a potty? can he have a potty put in his room?. there used to be sensors that woke the child up if they started to wee while asleep and the surprise of the noise stopped them and gave them time to go to loo if that would work?
there are a lot of parents on here that are going through this now and will prob have more up to date info as things change all the time but your instincts always work best Big Grin
There comes a point in your life when you realize:Who matters,Who never did,Who won't anymore...And who always will..
So, don't worry about people from your past,there's a reason why they didn't make it to your future.

• VIP
(07-27-2010, 03:00 PM)amberash Wrote: Hi my son has pdd and autim and was wondering who has their child toilet trained. My son is 5 and I got him dry at just turned four and he is mostly dry throughout the day. He has accidents and can't take care of his personal hygiene very well but will wash and wipe when I tell him to. He is in pull ups at night though and cant seem to get him dry. Health visitor says its because he has a poor diet (will only eat a few things) thats why he poos at night.

How old was you child trained, if indeed they are?

Aww your son sounds similar to mine however we havnt yet had a diagnosis as such!
But my son is 5 (6in January) and like ur boy, he is toilet trained in the day and as the odd accident now and again! However he isnt so great with hes persoal hygiene and doesnt wipe hes self and majority of the time needs assistance when upping hes trousers.
But like ur son, Sam would only poo in a nappy during the night (infact he still does but may sometimes have a poo on the toilet-not often) we have tried him several times through the night but always failed as he wets & soils. (even when waking him every hour to go the loo)
So at the mo, He is still in pull ups during the night (and the contience people are coming to see us again on fri to discuss hes needs abour free nappys etc) but Sam requires alot of night care most nights as he plays with hes poo and wipes it over hes self & furniture aswel as wonders the house!
Not too concerned about him still being in nappys as he has severe GDD which may be holding hes toileting back but hopefuly these will be able to help us somehow (last nurse was utter rubbish tho)