• Registered
my daughter copies off cartoons and i feel sad because she only says stock phases off dora the explorer. i would love it if she called me mummy instead of cartoon characters names, she calls me charlie or lola and sometimes she calls me george (peppa pigs little brother).

my son seems to shout even when hes talking he is either so upset or really hyped up and excited. going outdoors is a nightmare and i dread even a trip with him to our corner shop. he starts by wanting to run off (we live on a main road) and i am already tightly holding his hand so he just ends up dragging me. then he doesnt walk he starts yanking my arm and putting all his weight on my arm to either swing or jump. he couldnt care less about cars and if i wasnt holding his hand he would absentmindingly just dither out on the road. then if i pull him out of the way of lamposts or other people he doesnt understand why i have pulled or moved him and he goes mad which can even lead to him biting me to show me how cross he his with me. thats just to the corner shop, a longer trip places is much more stressful as he gets his mind obbessed in walking a certain way he can get upset by cars stopping at traffic lights. everytime we return home i always say to myself 'never again'. i wouldnt dream of taking out my son and daughter out together it is even worse as you can imagine as my daughter has her own obbessions and they clash with my sons.

the only time i get to myself is the time he is at school and my daughter is at nursery (she only attends a part time setting) and the few hours i get asleep.

• VIP
Hi becky,
I just wanted to say that when we went for DLA at first we just filled in the forms and we had help from a local group of ours " familys in focus" when we got the decision back we were horrified they awarded lower care rate and said it was based on our son only needing 1 hour extra care than that of a typical 3 year old. We filled in as much as we could about the time it takes on tasks and answered everything so when we got the decision we could not understand if they even read what was on the form. Our boy is the same as your son he sleeps from 7-11 in a 24 hour period and that is it, no more than 4 hours. The rest of the 20 hours he is awake is a constant battle because hes tired but refuses to go back to sleep affects his entire day/night. He also has to be taken downstairs as he wakes up everyone else and its easier to deal with one child than 4 of them when your eyes are open with matchsticks. He wont get ready and hates having his nappy changed he spends all day fighting with you on everything, he is a nightmare to take out and its that bad we end up not going out.

We decided to appeal the DLA and this time we did a full statement of a 24 hour period in his life so we could give a full and true picture of what its like. We gave every bit of info in our letter about behaviour, no sleep, constant battles how it effects the rest of the house hold, and when we started to write it all down it becomes
very emotional as you get to see in your own words what you actually do everyday, day in day out.
We used the worst set of examples of things as a typical day, but thats because it is a typical day and sent it off for appeal. He was then assessed as now needing the "Higher rate" of care componant, so he jumped from low to high and i believe it was because of all the extra we put in the letter which painted a true picture of how it really is. Rather than just the form on its own which the boxes are to small on anyway.

ddsaps

• Administrators
if you fill it out online there is no restrictions with the size of boxes, we wrote essays!And also, i found it quicker filling it in online because it sends it directly there, i recieved a thankyou letter 3days after filling it in whereas it would it probably would of took that long for them to recieve it through the post!
I agree it is emotional when you actually write it all down and think wow this is my life, how did i adjust to this? but you just do because you love your children. It is very true what david cameron said about how you find a million ways of loving someone that finds it difficult or impossible to show they love you back!

xx

• Registered
how do you fill in the part where someone who know your child signs it - do you just put there name?

• Administrators
(11-14-2009, 10:20 AM)becky29 Wrote: how do you fill in the part where someone who know your child signs it - do you just put there name?

I believe the purpose is meant to be to hand the form to this person for them to sign but practically it is acceptable to write there name there.
I would write a note next to the name advising the DLA to contact them.
I personally have always used the online version as its just easier to make changes and add things.
Looking for sensory toys at affordable prices then look no further

Sensory toys for children with special needs CLICK HERE