• Registered
i have downloaded and printed off dla forms for my daughter now she has her diagnosis, plus lots of things have changed and i posted before about my doctor writing to me for me to put in for higher rate dla and the mobility. so do i just fill in the forms again (something im dreading) or do i phone them and say is it a change of circumstances.

• Registered
right ive been scaring myself with reading about research on disallowances for dla, last time i just answered the questions but i think this time i should put in extra on how it affects her daily life from the moment she wakes up to the time she 'finally' falls asleep. i hope to do the same for my son as his needs at home and at school are that of a toddlers (3 year old) and he will be 6 next month and the last time i filled in the form i had to lean heavly on his comunication problems whereas now the school are backing me on saying thats not his main problem and never was. i do think the doctor will finally agree its not a speech problem.

• Administrators
I have just filled out the forms online to apply for the mobility component as euan turns 3 in march. took us 2 and 1/2 hours online and it is daunting. I feel like the decision maker will look at the amount of care I give and think I'm lying even though I'm not! lol I would phone them if I were you just to tell them you are going to send another form in, apparently it helps speed it up if you send the doctors letter along with your claim, I found the thread bellow really interesting, it is a DLA decision maker answering questions on a forum about the decision process. I had a letter today saying them looking at my claim again will take atleast 11 weeks. I would ask the headteacher for an official letter aswell to send along with it! it all helps, the thread im going to post has alot of people with adult dependants asking questions but there are people with children too and he explains what he bases his decisions on and the rules about different things. I found it really interesting to read!

xx
http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=1250001

• Registered
the amount of care i give is like im there second skin - lol. my son can need care 24 hours, he only needs about 3 - 4 hours sleep (occasionally it can be 5 - 6). when he wakes he shouts out for his bottle (yes and thats baby bottle that hes still very much attached to) and i have to get up right away as he shouts so loudly he risks waking everyone, the shouting is followed quickly by screeching and loud whining and then flapping his arms and legs while getting really worked up. then he will argue about what colour juice ive got for him and i will have to change it at least twice. i dont know why but he has to argue everything even if its something he really likes - its like he cant accept it unless hes got a major meltdown out of the way first. then he will demand to watch a certain cartoon - we have bt vision so on demand has been a godsend. before he would have a meltdown if a cartoon ended or had a commercial break or if hie favourite cartoon wasnt on. but he doesnt say what his cartoon is by name he asks for it by colour 'blue and purple' is a cartoon called 'chowder' but it took me ages to figure that out. then thats not even starting with where he wants to sit and which blanket he wants and a certain kind of tag which we will go through many different clothing tags until one feels right (not the same everytime). then me or my partner will lay on the sofa while he watches a cartoon - but hes only happy for about 10 mins until hes screaming the house down for something else. then eventually it gets time for school and guess what he doesnt want to go so he will scream about that, he cant dress himself as he still cant manage with buttons and cant do socks and stuff - he gets trousers in the same leg, falls over he gets very upset and stamps his feet so its just easier for me to do it. then he cant stay still and i have to chase him while buttoning his shirt or do it as hes jumpin up and down or off the sofa. then he wont leave for school and i end up bribeing him with a toy off a magazine.

so if thats all before breakfast you can imaging the rest of the day. i dont think i conveyed this on the last form i concentrated on his speech problems then his behaviours second because that how his doctor see him, but now i know there is loads of support for me for his ASD i feel i could better fill it in for his actual problems.

the thing i was reading about the ones they turn down is when they dont convey how the disability affects daily life, i plan on writing pages and pages on how it is daily lol.

• Administrators
LOL sounds just like euan with the drinking. He shouts SO loud that i leap out of bed before he wakes alfie up because if this happens i am up for the day! I usually end up getting into bed with him too as he always says ''mommy come'' and points at the pillow. He also has to watch certain programmes mainly fireman sam, diego/dora and pepper pig. it used to only be the wiggles but they took it off demand! i have virgin which is great for on demand but they do rotate them so i invested in a v+ box to record them, i have a million sams on it and we watch them over and over, he doesnt care whether its the same one, i think he mainly loves the beginning bit, when the theme tune starts he copies it he runs to the door frame (this is his sam pole lol) pretends to slide down it, then runs for his sam hat! its commical, but also kind of sad in a way knowing that the child development centre have said that he doesn't use his imagination and copies the tv. that is a prime example! I found it all difficult to write down because i am so used to it, thats just my life, i don't see it as different!!

xx