• Registered
My son is just the same ..... he does first and thinks later.....and is always gutted and really down on himself when he realises what he's done!!
My son's school were quite reluctant to give additional help at first but after a meeting he was given lots of additional support....he is taught in a class of four with the SENCO three hours a day every day of the week....he has basically caught up academically having been 18 months behind at the beginning of the year.....unfortunately this now means that the SENCO cant really have him in her small group so I worry in his normal class he will start fall behind again!....his class teacher tries very hard with him but he is disruptive and argumentative with other children and she has her hands full with him!
They have given him a reading buddy from year six who sits with him every day reading.....he has a buddy at lunchtime to sit with him and encourage him to eat and drink. Children can be sooo lovely!!!
We have recently been appointed a social worker and he is adamant that he should be satemented. Thankgod someone who will help me to fight his corner!!!49

• Administrators
(07-27-2010, 12:29 PM)Welshmamma Wrote: We have recently been appointed a social worker and he is adamant that he should be satemented. Thankgod someone who will help me to fight his corner!!!49
You mention about the extra support provided to your son,what basis is this done on?
IEP,SCHOOL ACTION or anything like this?
Looking for sensory toys at affordable prices then look no further

Sensory toys for children with special needs CLICK HERE

• Registered
This posting uses a quote from me that comes from the Daily Mail, where it was used, without my permission, to apparently support the Westminster government's position on SEN. The quote was originally part of a longer statement where I agree completely that children with diagnoses of ADHD have real difficulties. They and their families should, of course, be offered support in and out of school.
My difficulty with the idea of ADHD is that, in my experience, it is used to explain problem behaviour in many children with quite different histories and reasons for their problems. The the simple answer is then to prescribe stimulant medication, often without first providing a range of educational and social supports.