• VIP
Hi everyone Smile

My name is Maggie and I am a mum of three, aged 20, 6 and 5. My son, who is 5, is autistic. At the moment he is at the severe end of the scale, mainly because he has no communication skills, has never spoken and is still in nappies. He has poor gross motor skills and also has Pica (a compulsion to eat inedible objects, he unfortunately has a fondness for paper and soil)

On a personal level, it was a relief to get a diagnosis, as I knew he wasn't developing as he should, and the year-long process was nerve-wracking! I have been luckier than a lot of parents as the area I live in is very clued-up about Autism, and as my son presented clearly with the triad of impairments it was pretty clear from the start he was Autistic, although we still had to wait the full year for the official diagnosis.

I would like to offer my support and admiration to Daniel and Lucy for creating this forum, and I hope it goes from strength to strength. It's true when you have a child with a disability it can be very isolating, especially if your child has a condition that is not widely known about, so it's pretty darned wonderful that you are trying to offer your support and advice in this way!

Anyway, nice to be here and maybe help out if I can.

Maggie x

• Administrators
(10-12-2009, 08:27 AM)MaggieMay Wrote: Hi everyone Smile

My name is Maggie and I am a mum of three, aged 20, 6 and 5. My son, who is 5, is autistic. At the moment he is at the severe end of the scale, mainly because he has no communication skills, has never spoken and is still in nappies. He has poor gross motor skills and also has Pica (a compulsion to eat inedible objects, he unfortunately has a fondness for paper and soil)

On a personal level, it was a relief to get a diagnosis, as I knew he wasn't developing as he should, and the year-long process was nerve-wracking! I have been luckier than a lot of parents as the area I live in is very clued-up about Autism, and as my son presented clearly with the triad of impairments it was pretty clear from the start he was Autistic, although we still had to wait the full year for the official diagnosis.

I would like to offer my support and admiration to Daniel and Lucy for creating this forum, and I hope it goes from strength to strength. It's true when you have a child with a disability it can be very isolating, especially if your child has a condition that is not widely known about, so it's pretty darned wonderful that you are trying to offer your support and advice in this way!

Anyway, nice to be here and maybe help out if I can.

Maggie x
Hello Maggie,
Welcome to the forum and thank you for telling us about you and your family.
Its always nice for people to introduce themselves as one day somebody maybe in the same boat as you and google the condition name and come across the thread and think oh im not alone.

I remember the day of diagnosis like it was yesterday and i tell you it stays with you forever.
But i have now come round to the thinking that it does not matter if my child is disabled as quite simply i look at my son with utter love and devotion and nothing would ever change that.

In regards to your son is he having any sort of Threapy to assist him develop any communication skills at all as i believe there are things they can do to help you commuincate with you son?

Once again thank you for joining every member that joins makes it feel worthwhile.
Looking for sensory toys at affordable prices then look no further

Sensory toys for children with special needs CLICK HERE

• VIP
Thank you Daniel.

Yes he receives good support, he attends a special school with a seperate Autistic Provision. Unfortunately he is very 'locked in', as it were, but we have had marvellous progress over the last six months, his eye contact has vastly improved which is key to his communication development. The only drawback is the school is 10 miles away, but I would carry him on my back if necessary Smile

It's amazing how, as parents, we just adapt to our child's needs, but I strongly believe in good clear diagnosis, whatever your child's condition.

I hope your son is keeping well x

• Registered
Hello Maggie May
Nice to hear your story
Welcome to the forum

• Administrators
Hi thankyou for taking time introduce yourself.

Our son is doing pretty well at the moment although he has a range of problems. I completely agree about how we adapt as parents to our childs needs and with our son it was also a great relief to get a diagnosis.

I think when you have a clear diagnosis it helps you to know what your facing which in turn makes it easier to adapt and get on with moving forward. Although i have to say that our sons diagnosis was not what i was expecting with it being so rare!

Its funny because when the doctors ask me how I think he is developing compared to a normal 2yr old I have to say don't have a clue because to me.....Euan is the norm, I dont know many children his age so really I have nothing to compare him to!!

Lucy x