• Registered
Hello
We have just got to the stage where we need a buggy for Charlotte - she is quite small but needs a bit more support than a regular pushchair provides. Also, my hubby has a back injury and I am quite small, so it needs to be as lightweight as possible. Does anyone have any suggestions?
Thanks all!
Deanna

• VIP
alvema ito!! we have one and its absolutely fab! so easy to push and can be used to travel in if you have an wheelchair accessable vehicle. i really do love our, its for children with moderate physical disabilites, so it provides truchal support whilst not being too restirctive and best of all, it looks exactly like a regular buggy, people are always asking me where i got it from and cant believe it when i say its a wheelchair :-) here is a link to a picture of it

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=5362614&id=653519147

it also tilts rather than reclines to make sure the pelvis is kept in the right alignment.
hope that helps
carrie x

Hi Deanna

When choosing a buggy, here are some considerations to bear in mind:

The height of the push handle is adjustable on some models to cater for different height parents. This may lessen back strain when pushing your child over long distances.

The method of folding the buggy and its size and weight when folded may be critical for transporting it in a car or on public transport.

Front wheels can be fixed or swivel - the choice is usually down to personal preference. Swivel wheels tend to be more manoeuvrable, eliminating the need to lift the front wheels off the ground to turn a corner. Fixed wheels make it easier to push the buggy in a straight line, especially outdoors.
For further advice when choosing a buggy, please see our help and advice section on features to consider.

Alternatively, we have information on our Living Made Easy site on different types of buggies.

Carrie,

I would like to bring to you attention, having recently received a Medical Device Alert from the Medicines and Healthcare products Regulatory Agency (MHRA) highlighting a problem with Alvema ITO pushchair's. MHRA report that the frame tubes can break causing the pushchair to tip and injure the occupant or carer.

This includes models:

ITO Small with serial numbers from 104709 to 150306 inclusive.

ITO Large with serial numbers from 104009 to 106789 inclusive.

The manufacturer has agreed to replace all affected frames with a strengthened frame assembly. Please see link for further details

I hope this helps.
Kiren Mohan

DLF Occupational Therapist

• VIP
thanks kieren, we've been waiting for a new frame since Feb, have chased it and been promised it by september at latest
:-)
carrie x

• Administrators
(07-10-2010, 06:05 PM)logan_jacob_mummy Wrote: thanks kieren, we've been waiting for a new frame since Feb, have chased it and been promised it by september at latest
:-)
carrie x

Are you waiting because of the recall?
If so why are they making you wait when they know there is a clear safety issue?
Looking for sensory toys at affordable prices then look no further

Sensory toys for children with special needs CLICK HERE