• VIP
(07-07-2010, 12:38 PM)loulou Wrote: Found the packet - its called circadin 2mg....for patients aged 55 years and over. Alzheimers affect the bodys way of producing the natural hormone melatonin. There is also a list of side effects.

Oh and my mistake, the melatonin for children has been used in some form of trials but it is not a licensed product.

the melatonin for children has been used for years and whilst not licensed for Children in uk can be bought over the counter in us. I would not be without it!

• VIP
Hmm I know. My son gets so immune to its effects so quick though. His new paed supplied me with info on it and he had highlighted that the melatonin should be stopped after 6 months - why do they prescribe it to children for years yet he gives me this. I now only give it to my child when he or I cannot cope on no sleep any longer!

• VIP
you have the right to request to be seen at any UK hospital, you arent necessarily entitled to request a specific dr but if you request to be seen at a different hospital they will refer you there where 'hopefully' you will see a Dr you find better.

i think you'll be surprised at how many drugs which are prescribed for children arent licensed for their intended use, omeprazole the reflux drug for example isnt licensed for children under 1 but is still very commonly prescribed to babies.

carrie x

• VIP
Thats the thing - who knows the long term effects?

• VIP
noone but when the risks outweigh the possible consequenses you have to go for it. i know for jacob he's have been dead without omeprazole as a baby. the only reason these things arent licensed is because they cant really do investigations into drugs when it may put the test subject (a child) at risk. its the same for drugs in pregnancy, i took a huge amount of antisickness drugs, none had been approved for use during pregnancy but sometimes you have no choice, i was already in hospital on a drip, the alternative was kidney damage and also possible risks to the baby!
there is no safe way to determine the risks of drugs in infants and children.