• VIP
(07-07-2010, 09:08 AM)slharris28 Wrote:
(07-07-2010, 07:51 AM)loulou Wrote: Yes we did. She was useless to be honest. She even prescribed my son melatonin which was meant for adults over 55 that have senile dementia - and that was NOT to be taken under the age of 55.
So that rules my son out. She then asked me to pick up the prescription (to cover her back of course)that I had left at the chemist (this was because they could only supply 5 tablets so left script there to pick up the rest). Got home and realised she had given him the wrong stuff. She also said that there was nothing wrong with my child so I asked for a second opinion - went to Guys, they said he had autism and they said it's ludicrous how it wasn't spotted before.

I put in a complaint and asked to change paeds.

It is your right.

How is Melatonin for only over 55's?? My daughter was on that for about a year for her sleeping difficulties until it was ineffective.

There is melatonin for older people which has been tested on humans.

The melatonin that children have has not been that is why it should be discontinued after max 6 months use.

• VIP
Found the packet - its called circadin 2mg....for patients aged 55 years and over. Alzheimers affect the bodys way of producing the natural hormone melatonin. There is also a list of side effects.

Oh and my mistake, the melatonin for children has been used in some form of trials but it is not a licensed product.

• VIP
Thanks guys, its helpful to know that other people have had the guts to stand up to the 'professionals', most of them do an amazing job but just sometimes I feel like they think I know nothing about my daughters condition (erm.. I live with her!) Dodgy

Kirsty x
Mum to 3 gorgeous girls Bethany (12), Amyrose (7) and Chloe (4). Chloe has Septo-Optic Displaysia, Bilateral Schizencephaly, Microcephaly, Lissencephaly, Spina Bifida Occulta, Global Developmetal Delay and Epilepsy. But has a smile that can light up the grumpiest persons day!

• VIP
(07-07-2010, 07:51 AM)loulou Wrote: Yes we did. She was useless to be honest. She even prescribed my son melatonin which was meant for adults over 55 that have senile dementia - and that was NOT to be taken under the age of 55.
So that rules my son out. She then asked me to pick up the prescription (to cover her back of course)that I had left at the chemist (this was because they could only supply 5 tablets so left script there to pick up the rest). Got home and realised she had given him the wrong stuff. She also said that there was nothing wrong with my child so I asked for a second opinion - went to Guys, they said he had autism and they said it's ludicrous how it wasn't spotted before.

I put in a complaint and asked to change paeds.

It is your right.

My daughter has been on melstonin mr for yeat (from the age of 10) I know a lot of children on melatonin. It is a naturally occuring hormone that my daughter produces at the wrong time due to a reversed ciccadian ryhthm.

• VIP
Yes they prescribed it for my son - got the right one in the end!