• Banned
As you say there simply are not many bungalows of that size available. They don't build them and to be honest bungalows tend to have smaller rooms anyway which is not ideal from a accessibility point of view.

Your initial reaction was that the house was great so I don't see why you should change that opinion. It may not be perfect and in an ideal world a spacious 4 bedroom bungalow would be best but we don't live it that.

The OT does not have to live there, you do and if you think you can make a happy, accessible and comfortable home for your family there, then go for it

x

• Registered
(07-02-2010, 09:25 AM)bobbinsandbeans Wrote: As you say there simply are not many bungalows of that size available. They don't build them and to be honest bungalows tend to have smaller rooms anyway which is not ideal from a accessibility point of view.

Your initial reaction was that the house was great so I don't see why you should change that opinion. It may not be perfect and in an ideal world a spacious 4 bedroom bungalow would be best but we don't live it that.

The OT does not have to live there, you do and if you think you can make a happy, accessible and comfortable home for your family there, then go for it

x

I found it really difficult finding a three bed bungalow. The other thing to look out for with bungalow is the hallways. Most of the ones that I looked at were too narrow for an adult wheelchair and to turn a wheelchair into a room off the hallway even with wider doors (you do have to think about the future)

I also found that the bathrooms in bungalows were so small that you would have to convert one of the bedrooms into a wet room.

Although I managed to find a bungalow in the end - the search took two years! It still had to have some conversions through the DFG including an external lift as the bungalow had steps leading up to the front door.
Again, like you our local council said they had absolutely nothing available even though I was really struggling in our house.

You will find whichever choice you make there will be compromises. Nowhere is perfect.

• VIP
Hi millie, i posted another thread about this, it says:

The housing officer came to our home yesterday with our disability social worker and they have said that they are going to build us a new 4 bedroomed, 7 person bungalow, it will take time, they need to find land, buy it, get planning permission, then build it.

i can't believe it, i never thought that they would give us one of these never mind building a new one just for us.

as it will take a long time they have suggested that we go into a single let, which is a land lords house/bungalow, given to the housing executive to rent out. They are going to try and get a bungalow but the OT will see it first to see if its right, instead of getting our hopes up like last time.

This was in December, nothing has happened yet and i'm starting to go potty in this house, lol.
HeartHeart Stacy HeartHeart
Mother to Terry 10 MLD + ADHD, Nicole 9 Cri-du-chat Syndrome ADHD Asthma GDD Coarctation, Jessica 4 Cri-Du-Chat Syndrome GDD Reflux

• VIP
Hope they get something sorted out for you's . I know trinity do bungalow's , they have now went in with belfast housing association , who is my landlord . I'm going to get in touch with them about moving as i keep falling down stairs with Cole also he isnt on his feet . Take it i'd be best getting OT out to do assessment on were we are now .

Really hope it gets sorted out for you soon , all the best of luck xx
Single mum to a 14year old daughter and a son who is 3years old who has severe learning disability , hypotonia , hypermobility , visual impaired and sensory issues , he has showed me the meaning of life Heart and 3rd baby due 2nd of January 2012

• VIP
(03-23-2011, 09:10 PM)meagain Wrote: Hope they get something sorted out for you's . I know trinity do bungalow's , they have now went in with belfast housing association , who is my landlord . I'm going to get in touch with them about moving as i keep falling down stairs with Cole also he isnt on his feet . Take it i'd be best getting OT out to do assessment on were we are now .

Really hope it gets sorted out for you soon , all the best of luck xx

You really should, they are invaluable in getting what you need x
HeartHeart Stacy HeartHeart
Mother to Terry 10 MLD + ADHD, Nicole 9 Cri-du-chat Syndrome ADHD Asthma GDD Coarctation, Jessica 4 Cri-Du-Chat Syndrome GDD Reflux