• VIP
We didnt wait for the nursery and they advised us that it would be better if we put in a parental request (not really sure on the reason as to whether its more likely to get you a statement or whether they were too busy and wouldnt have time to sort it out). Its only been a year since we started the process off, but i really cant remember how we did it, i think we wrote a letter to our LEA stating that we believed she needed to be assessed for a statement, and im positive we got a template of the letter on the internet and just rewrote it so that it was right for us. We were lucky with the statement as we put in for it in July (at the end of the school year) and it came back just in time for her starting school in September. Good luck, and try searching for a template of a letter for a statement on google and something might come up

• Established member
Thank you all for your help, I'm still trying to find a contact for my local LEA. If I have no luck by the end of the week I will pop into my council office next week, see if they can point me in the right direction.

From your comments I am feeling a little more positive that I may be able to push things along myself. I was always under the impression the school needed to do it!

Thank you all so much I will update you as soon as I know anything

• Administrators
Right you apparently come under cambridgeshire education department Smile

The Student Assessment Service is
based at Scott House, 5 George Street,
Huntingdon, PE29 3AD
Tel: 01480 372600
Fax: 01480 372627
E-Mail: studentassessment.service@cambridgeshire.gov.uk

There is a useful guide that your local authority have issued which can be viewed at:

http://www.cambridgeshire.gov.uk/NR/rdonlyres/B81BBBD5-D397-4817-9A8F-29801750DC00/0/SEN_AguideforparentsSENstatutoryassessments.pdf

Hopefully that should cover all based Smile
Looking for sensory toys at affordable prices then look no further

Sensory toys for children with special needs CLICK HERE

• Administrators
Also with the address above type the following up and fill in the blanks and your on the road to the statement process:

Dear Sir or Madam,

(child’s name) (date of birth)

Request for formal assessment

I am writing as the parent of the above child to request an assessment of his special educational needs under the 1996 Education Act.

(child’s name) attends ..................... school.

I believe that (child’s name)'s special educational needs are as follows:
(List any special needs your child may have)

My reasons for believing that the school cannot on their own make the provision required to meet my child’s needs are:
I understand that you are required by law to reply to this request within six weeks and that if you refuse I will be able to appeal to the Special Educational Needs Tribunal.

Yours sincerely,
Looking for sensory toys at affordable prices then look no further

Sensory toys for children with special needs CLICK HERE

• Established member
Thank you Daniel, I will get writing 1st thing tomorrow. Fingers crossed