• Established member
Just give you a bit of background info 1st

Hi, my name is Donna and I have a little boy Connor who is 5. When I had my second son 18 months ago the health visitor had concerns about Connor so referred him to a childrens centre to be assessed. It basically came back that he was behind in his development.

Since then when he started nursery his nursery teacher was concerned and referred him to a paed. He has had tests for autism but all came back negative. He has been diagnosed with Global Developmental delay, Absence seizures and possible ADHD and the paed has stressed it would be of benefit for him to have a statement at school.

This was advised in March this year. I have been to see his teacher and the SENCO at the school numerous times. At the begining of April the SENCO advised me she would start the assessments that needed to be done and she would hopefully have everything ready to send off by July.

Well yesterday I went in to see her to see how things are progressing and she told me that she had not got very far as there are more children more needy than Connor who she has been dealing with 1st, well as I can understand this Connor is my priority, and nothing seems to be being done with any urgency. He is so far behind his peers at school and is falling further and further behind, without the support he needs.

What I basically wanted to ask is, can someone point me in the right direction as what to do next as I feel the school are not really interested in him. The school he goes to is mainstream and one of the best in our area but I am losing faith in them and don't know where to turn or what to do next. I hope someone here can help me
Also to add, he is having genetic testing in 2 weeks for Fragile X, which I would be suprised if it comes back negative, does anyone have any info on this condition he has almost 100% of the symptoms.

• VIP
I wish I had some advice, my daughter is only 3 so I haven't really had any school experience, especially when it comes to the statementing process (we're just getting a statement in place for her starting in Sept '11), but I wanted to say hi as my daughter also has Global Developmental Delay and suspected Absence Seizures - am seeing the paediatrician about it next week, but just wanted to ask if Connor had any kind of test to diagnose the absence seizures. Hope Connor gets the help he needs, you're in the best place here for advice. Smile

• Established member
Yes he had an EEG. Hope everything goes ok for you too and hope you get the statement in place for September

• Administrators
you could approach your local LEA yourself and formally request a statement, you do not need to wait for the school, once you have requested that, that should hurry the school up as i believe they have a certain amount of time to respond in. Does your son have an educational phsyc? if so i would speak to them also. we are awaiting to hear about our sons statement, the ed physc wrote to the docs who didnt reply so he put in for it anyway....

good luck with the fragile-x testing, the only info i can find is off wikipaedia Blush which you may have already read.... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fragile_X_syndrome

lucy xx

• Administrators