• VIP
Hello Joe+3

Yes see your OT they will be able to sort you out with a wheelchair that is suitable for your childs needs and assessments will be continuing at every stage as this is good. We are onto r 2nd wheelchair. Also consider the height of your boot for the wheelchair, we are inthe process of getting a wheelchair lift hoist as i cant lift the wheelchair anymore, or maybe consider a motability car or even for the next car you have to think of the boot space if going for a wheelchair lift hoist.

Do not buy any equipment for your son you are entitled to get these through your OT she should know where to go and who to contact, also have you got a special needs car seat the OT should also look into this for you we are on r 2nd car seat the 2nd one is a swivel one as son is very heavy now he is 6 years of age, or go through to NEWLIFE and ask them for a grant towards a car seat your child will be assessed to see what seat is best for them.

If you do buy any products that are for your child equipment check that you can get VAT Exemption you are entitled to it if you buy anything online you can click your sons condition and you will be excempt, we are if i need extra nappies and the stock we have run low it does make a big difference.

Give your OT a ring and get the help you need, if they dont get back to you keep ringing them I know they are always busy mine is. Get your child sorted with his needs write down what you need for your child around the house if anything. If you need some more help with anything please ask. Good luck. xxx

• VIP
car seats are not provided here in Bury it does differ from town to town, also we are assessed by OT and then refered to wheelchair services. i have a wheelchair that i find very heavy especially just on a short trip to the shops so i have a maclaren major buggy that i got off ebay i think its brill so much easier. nappies are not available either until the child reaches five should be one rule for all then we know were we are up to??
I never thought it would happen to me.

• VIP
(06-29-2010, 10:03 PM)Jo+3 Wrote: Hi he just has a normal buggy at the mo, but getting too big for it. We have a physio. So should i ask them?

Yes, my physio referred us to wheelchair services who then contacted us, we've now got our wheelchair on order and it should be with us in a couple of weeks. Smile

• Registered
(06-29-2010, 09:47 PM)Jo+3 Wrote: My little boy is 3 and a half and cannot walk far at all because he has dystonia, we use a buggy as he is quite small but i dont know what to do when he is too big for it. Does anyone know where to get a small wheelchair from or how i go about getting one?

your ot, phsyio or paed can refer you to wheelchair services . they will sort out whats best and you shouldnt have to pay . i didnt think my little girl whos 4 would learn how to use one ( as she has learning diffs ) and for ages thought i had made a mistake when i took the wheelchair instead of the maclaron major but she is so good in using it now and can even spin around on the dance floor with it . hope it all works out for you xx
(06-29-2010, 09:47 PM)Jo+3 Wrote: My little boy is 3 and a half and cannot walk far at all because he has dystonia, we use a buggy as he is quite small but i dont know what to do when he is too big for it. Does anyone know where to get a small wheelchair from or how i go about getting one?

your ot, phsyio or paed can refer you to wheelchair services . they will sort out whats best and you shouldnt have to pay . i didnt think my little girl whos 4 would learn how to use one ( as she has learning diffs ) and for ages thought i had made a mistake when i took the wheelchair instead of the maclaron major but she is so good in using it now and can even spin around on the dance floor with it . hope it all works out for you xx

• VIP
Quote:your ot, phsyio or paed can refer you to wheelchair services . they will sort out whats best and you shouldnt have to pay . i didnt think my little girl whos 4 would learn how to use one ( as she has learning diffs ) and for ages thought i had made a mistake when i took the wheelchair instead of the maclaron major but she is so good in using it now and can even spin around on the dance floor with it . hope it all works out for you xx

I like the idea of dancefloor spins, how cool! Smile