• Registered
she just hasnt done her job properly not from the start, my sons poor teacher has had to put his lesson plan together and she even requested she be sent for autism training. she really tried i have spoke to her weekly about new things they were trying, she also let him go into his brothers class for a hug whenever he wanted to. he was allowed to walk around school with his keyworker if he needed the break. he had sticker books and visual timetables, he was taught with toys and puppets. and i know he didnt really learn very much academically (sp?) but he was happy and he came home talking about things they had been learning. like about the weather and for a while he was obbessed with danger signs and he could point out all different kinds of warning signs.

ive met with her regularly and we have talked in great detail about exactly what he has managed to learn. in a nutshell it took all they had in place for him to learn to write his first name (still with palmer grasp), and he can only count to 5 with adult help. and over the 7 week hoilday now 7 weeks into this year he cant write his name he cant count to 5 even with help, he has lost the basic listening skills he had built up. anyone would be worried now he has no one - to - one. after that parents evening she told me that she was letting him down and she was really sorry and as we had discussed in the past maybe its time for him to go to a special unit.

the senco was more interested in blaming his teacher, she kept interupting to say 'what has she said to you - exactly?'. and i kept saying 'this is not about what was said' and i also told her that me want help moving him school was not down to one parents evening its been coming for a while now. in the end she started to take notes but that was like it was the first time she was hearing anything about my son - like she might have well asked me to spell out his name. she kept saying things that made out i was over reacting and that he might not have to leave.

the next few days i asked around who to go to next, my sons teacher came to chat with me and she said she stuck by what she had said even though she got into trouble with senco over telling me first before running it by her. she said that i might have to fight for him to go to another school.

now ive had a this meeting with the head i cant see there being anymore problems for a while.

• Administrators
The reality is that the school was blaming one person and the senco blaming someone else.
And in the middle of this there is a poor child just needing whats right for him.
Im glad that finally you will be able to get the extra help and support.

So whats the next step now then Becky?
Looking for sensory toys at affordable prices then look no further

Sensory toys for children with special needs CLICK HERE

• Registered
well the headteacher admitting that mainstream school wasnt doing him any good and her saying he has autism has cut out some huge steps that i was expecting to be long and drawn out. feels strange something suddenly changing, but actually this morning i was up an hour early and i feel really positive. usually its me hitting the alarm clock too many times and having to rush for the late bus.

i suppose i go back to his teacher and we talk about what he can do in the meantime, and i ask for a list of schools i can visit while i wait for this meeting to be brought forward. then i might have somewhere in mind by that time. i can look for my daughter at the same time too and find out if he will get travel paid for by council. i also am reapplying for dla for both as the school think i should be getting higher rate for both.

• Administrators
Special schools in our area offer a pick-up/drop-off service to get the children to an from school on their mini-buses. I would find out if the school you look at have that too, especially if you end up choosing two separate schools for them!!
xx

• Registered
got my list today, had to go to the education dept for it. i have plenty to phone up and will start with a few tomorrow.