Poll: Did your asperger child suffer lack of oxygen at birth?
This poll is closed.

Yes
100.00% of votes
100.00% Complete
No
0% of votes
0% Complete

* You voted for this item.

• Administrators
Hello,
Parents of children with Aspergers did your child suffer from lack of oxygen at birth?
I was suprised to see some statistics that said 50% of children with Aspergers had suffered a lack of oxygen at birth.
Looking for sensory toys at affordable prices then look no further

Sensory toys for children with special needs CLICK HERE

• Registered
i had a terrible time with my son, for starter they had a really good idea that he was way too big for me to give birth naturally but they made me anyway. then i actually couldnt part with him and they left me for 2 hours with him in distress while they messed about discussing a c-section. i was in pain even though id had everything and it was awful. then when i was taken into threater the surgon was going mad while looking at my notes - i remember him stroking my head and saying everything would be ok soon. then i came around later and everything was fine, but after one day i was being quizzed about being on street drugs as something was very wrong with my son. apparantly its the first question they ask, anyway the answer was no i was ******* NOT taking drugs!!! i was told he might die and that he had to go up to special care. its heartbreaking up there and my baby was 8lbs 15 and they were some small babys. he was on an antibotic drip for two days but he was ok after that, they never did say what it was though. he most certainly has autism and adhd, but my daughter has autism but wasnt born with any problems so im not sure what to put it down to.

• Administrators
iIdeffinatly think that lack of oxygen atributes to some of euans behaviour problems. He was born at 38 weeks, very quick delivery no problems except the fact he was grunting. He would not feed, I kept asking the midwife if he was ok because even though it was dark, but they just kept saying he was fine and it would sort itself. He still looked a funny colour and continued to grunt for 2 hours, then a HCA came in, looked at him and went to get the midwife. She came back with the doctor and put him on a special trolley they had in the corner of the room with a lamp and oxygen on. After examining him the doc sent him straight down to special care, but the midwife still insisted he would be fine and just needed a little oxygen _ saying he would be back up in a couple of hours. He ended up being there for 17days, he had RDS (respiratory distress syndrome) caused by some sort of infection.
He had IV antibiotics for a week but every now and then he still turned blue. His sats would fall to 30% at times, they said he had severe reflux and was effectively holding his breath in pain! they put him on gaviscon and domperidone and after a further 10 days sent him home. I remember asking the midwife if it would affect him as he got older and she said probably not but only time would tell.
Gosh we've been through the mill with Euan, this was before he was diagnosed with cystinosis, and aswell as a baby he had delayed vision....he couldn't fix and follow until he was gone 3 months. Never ending problems really! and now they are assessing him for ASD/ADHD, although I wonder if that behaviour is linked to his condition, with it being so rare no one knows........talk about frustrating!!!!!!!

xxx

• Registered
My son has ASD not Aspergers but he had problems at birth and low blood gases with the cord wrapped around his neck. They were getting confused over his heart rate keep thinking it was ok when they were picking up mine by mistake & his was going really low. It wasnt good & after he was born he didnt cry - had to have lots of oxygen and then afterwards kept grunting for breath etc. I've often wondered whether this contributed to his ASD but I think you do go over and over these things wondering what caused it and blaming yourself etc. I'm interested that there is evidence though - where did this come from?

• Administrators
Its quite common evidence now and actually is popping up on the NHS websites here is an extract:

In a minority of cases, there is evidence to suggest that autism, along with other developmental disorders, may be caused by a variety of physical factors, all of which affect brain development and occur before, during, or after birth. For example, maternal rubella, tuberous sclerosis, lack of oxygen at birth, and encephalitis as a complication of an infectious illness. However, autism is not caused by emotional deprivation or the way a person has been brought up.

This can be found on

http://www.warwickshire.nhs.uk/Knowledge...tle=Causes

There are also many other sites that i shall dig out tommorow and the other site which quotes an amazing figure of 50% is:

http://www.pregnancybirthchildcare.com/how-to-tell-if-your-child-has-asperger-syndrome/

I shall also dig out the exact research.

It does make you wonder in cases such as ours where a child was left for so long if there is actually a medical negligance claim does it not?
Looking for sensory toys at affordable prices then look no further

Sensory toys for children with special needs CLICK HERE