• Administrators
door to the one side made of upvc and then window to the side of the door.
Have you a picture of the house frontage at all to see how big the garage is?
Looking for sensory toys at affordable prices then look no further

Sensory toys for children with special needs CLICK HERE

• VIP
ahh - i see what you mean now - house would look silly with another door into it on the front - as the door would have to be right next to the front door (which is a porch door)

• Moderators
i think its most teenagers dream to have their own front door that their mates would knock on it would end up as a bachelor bad hehe, doesnt solve the problem of getting from front to back without going through your house. is there access from your back garden to a street or alley? i am wondering what would happen if there was a fire at the front of your house and you have to get out by the back u r then stuck as you wouldnt have safe access to leave the grounds once the garage has been turned into a bedroom especially trying to get wheelchair around. have the plans stated they will be keeping the back door and adding a front door to the garage? that might prove draughty. is the garage big enough that they could make a corridor that goes from front to back to use for deliveries, i am strange as i see a garage as somewhere that stores the car and items that you cant keep in the house like the lawnmower never mind the wheelchair where is that going?
corinne
There comes a point in your life when you realize:Who matters,Who never did,Who won't anymore...And who always will..
So, don't worry about people from your past,there's a reason why they didn't make it to your future.

• Administrators
I always try to help fight where i can.
However the council can most likely insist that they choose to convert the garage rather than adding an extension to the back.
Hopefully they will have a climb down and help you but the thing is they dont care if two front doors look silly believe me.
We asked for an adapted banister for our son Euan one which has a higher and lower rail built into one rail but no that was too easy and they wanted to add another banister so we would have had 2 bannisters on each side one above the other. Dodgy
The council go for the most cost effective option and they have too really as people would moan otherwise.

I think providing the garage is done correctly and a door to the front is added its an option they can expect to use.
The fire escape idea one is not one in which there is caselaw to determine if its required and look at flats they only have one way out in many cases and many houses dont have rear exits as well so maybe one which wont stand up as such im afraid.

Maybe rather than fighting what i think maybe inevitable try getting them to work with you to ensure they garage design is one which suits your needs and im sorry to say the business storage cannot come into the plans at all as they are assesing for your childs needs so they will only adapt for these.

Believe me if there was a way in which i could see a loophole then yes maybe there were ways to investigate other options but as it stands i dont see another real option in which there is a legal fight but just the goodwill of the council to try and work with you.
Looking for sensory toys at affordable prices then look no further

Sensory toys for children with special needs CLICK HERE

• VIP
thanks for all your help Daniel, if they insist that is the only way - we have decided that we will refuse the help. After all we have to live here as a family and we wont be able to do that with the alterations - no other secure storage for the equipment in the garage (freezer, washer, fishing gear, wheelchair etc), we are already on short hours because of the recession, and we cannot afford to move our business into rented accomodation so my husband would have to give up his job (its that important that we have deliverys here).

Its disappointing as my son currently finds it very difficult getting upstairs and although as a teenager he would spend a lot of time in his room, he spends even more time there as getting upstairs is so hard.

the lack of other space to put the sports chair is also a no - there is not room to put a corridor in the garage, and i refuse to let the council alter my home to its detriment - also there would not be space to convert the garage to a bedroom/bathroom and have storage for the sports chair.

like i said thanks for all your help x