• Registered
Our parents are ageing and much less able to provide the extensive support that my sister needs in order to stay in her housing association two bed semi. Her local community on the estate where she lives are in fact hostile rather then in any way supportive. I desperately need to find a supported/sheltered housing position for her to move into before our parents are driven into a very premature grave. This will need to be around the Oxfordhsire area where my parents are, or in the more northerly reaches of Scotland where I am.

I have heard of mixed communities with non disabled and disabled people living in mutually supportive communities. How do I find one of these?

I am very concerned that if my sister is unable to develop a life and identity of her own then, when my parents are inevitably no longer around she will literally not be able to survive without them.

Any help and advice gratefully received.

• Administrators
(10-28-2009, 01:52 PM)Todd Wrote: Our parents are ageing and much less able to provide the extensive support that my sister needs in order to stay in her housing association two bed semi. Her local community on the estate where she lives are in fact hostile rather then in any way supportive. I desperately need to find a supported/sheltered housing position for her to move into before our parents are driven into a very premature grave. This will need to be around the Oxfordhsire area where my parents are, or in the more northerly reaches of Scotland where I am.

I have heard of mixed communities with non disabled and disabled people living in mutually supportive communities. How do I find one of these?

I am very concerned that if my sister is unable to develop a life and identity of her own then, when my parents are inevitably no longer around she will literally not be able to survive without them.

Any help and advice gratefully received.
Have you firstly approached your local housing authority to find out what they can offer your sister?
Also maybe worth considering contacting Shelter for immediate housing advice.
It would seem the intial enquiry from you is more adult related and as such im not really able to assist personally although somebody else on the forum maybe able to.
But my first 3 steps for you would be:

1)Contact local council
2)Contact social services adults and communities team and see what they can assist you with.
3)Also worth contacting Shelter so they can give you some more advice.

Hope the above helped.
Looking for sensory toys at affordable prices then look no further

Sensory toys for children with special needs CLICK HERE

• Administrators
What sort of care needs is it that your sister has? Do your parents get any sort of direct payments to help them with caring for her? These could also be used to employ a carer to take your sister out and teach her basic skills in life. I might be heading in totally the wrong direction but I have put a link bellow to a website for people with learning disabilities and about their rights, intergration into society and gaining life skills. As daniel said above, for the best advice on housing Shelter is your best bet or your local housing authority. There is the option of residential care but it is my understanding that it is very difficult to access once past a certain age! (someone correct me if i am wrong!) We have had a new member join form carers direct, so hopefully he may be able to imput for you!

Lucy xx
http://www.aboutlearningdisabilities.co.uk/gaining-life-skills.html

• Registered
Here is a link to a site by George Baker about how to get care that I came across while looking into direct payments/holiday care for my son. http://howtogetcare.com/blog/
Theres a free bit of info & to get more you need to buy his book (I got it off Amazon). Its mostly geared to adult care (he's disabled & its about how he got his care package & explains some of the processes etc) so it wasn't really much use for me in the end but it might be for you or at least the free info may point you in the right direction?

• VIP
(10-28-2009, 01:52 PM)Todd Wrote: I have heard of mixed communities with non disabled and disabled people living in mutually supportive communities. How do I find one of these?

I think you may be refering to Camphill?
http://www.camphill.org.uk/

There are many of these communities in England and in Scotland.
I lived and worked in Camphill when I was younger. Two years in a school in Ringwood then a year on a farm in South Africa.

Community living isn't for everyone, just as living alone, supported living, group homes etc, are not for everyone.

I personally loved every moment of my time and have many fond memories and made firm friends.

I would strongly reccommend you go spend a day there. It all may be very strange to you at first but you can't fail to be amazed at the mutual respect for all, regardless of a persons abilities.
Dodgy