• Registered
Hi,

I was wondering if u could help me with housing, at the moment i live in a 2 bed flat with both my children (2 boys) one of which as special needs and is unable to walk, so equipment is a must in my house my son aged 4 doesn't have he's own room and shares with me because he wakes during the night.
We have no proper access to a garden although we live in a close the garden is 2 doors away down an alley and is stoned and pathed, housing wise i'm on the gateway housing for which u have to bid for properties, the council have put restriction on what i can bid for ie downstairs shower room and disabled access although my son has never used a shower and isn't in a wheelchair.
I have also bid for standard housing but with no success everyone else seems to be a higher priority then me and my children, do you have any advise??
thanks claire

• Administrators
(05-12-2010, 07:27 PM)claire1979 Wrote: i'm on the gateway housing for which u have to bid for properties, the council have put restriction on what i can bid for ie downstairs shower room and disabled access although my son has never used a shower and isn't in a wheelchair.

Hi,
You mention about bidding on only certain types of property?
Have you completed a medical needs application?
Looking for sensory toys at affordable prices then look no further

Sensory toys for children with special needs CLICK HERE

• Registered
(05-13-2010, 07:14 AM)Daniel Wrote:
(05-12-2010, 07:27 PM)claire1979 Wrote: i'm on the gateway housing for which u have to bid for properties, the council have put restriction on what i can bid for ie downstairs shower room and disabled access although my son has never used a shower and isn't in a wheelchair.

Hi,
You mention about bidding on only certain types of property?
Have you completed a medical needs application?

hi
no i haven't, didn't know i needed too, but also haven't been told about it, do u have any info on this it would be a great help. Smile

• Registered
You need to fill out a medical needs application, if awarded it will give you a higher priority. It also helps to have letters from professionals that know the family, ie pead, ss etc. we were refused medical priority , but after having letters from professional we were awarded medium medical priority. hope this helps.

• VIP
You say your son isn't able to walk, is that part of his condition or simply due to age?
I'm sorry to sound nosy, its just that they may be taking that into account, i.e if he's possibly going to be unable to walk in the future they will wanting to move you into a property that will be suitable for future needs to avoid having to move you again.
As for the shower, I was told that wherever possible they encourage people to go for wetroom showers rather than baths due to room and costs.
Heart Raising the awareness of encephalitis, one baby step at a time.....Heart