• VIP
Today we had an appointment with ENT at the childrens hospital, after waiting for over a year!!! Well he said her hearing is really bad, and that she also has sleep apnea (because she snores loudly and then will stop and suddenly wake up). He decided we have got 2 choices, we could either have her fitted with hearing aids ( which will only sort out her hearing) or we can send her to have her tonsils, and adenoids out and grommets put in. She has had grommets put in before and it was horrible, not only the seeing her going to sleep and the hrs of screaming after she woke up but also the months of her one ear dripping with disgusting stuff, and i always said i would never have it done again, but thats what i had to decide as she needs her tonsils and adenoids removed to stop the sleep apnea, and now im dreading it. They have said it will be sometime between the middle and end of June and they will let us know closer to the date. In a way i felt pushed into doing it but in a way at least she can have tonsils and adenoids removed and hopefully this time it will actually work, but i told them if it doesnt work this time she will have to have hearing aids as im not going through it again. I know some people might think, "oh well my child goes through alot worse than that" and yes they do but im really not good at coping with this sort of thing and am really dreading it Sad

• VIP
dont be silly its your child you care! i know what you mean chloe having hers out may 24th am so scared too. ((hugs))

• VIP
Xander my youngest has had numerous operations since he was about 18mths old and even now i still get upset, the worse part for me was being asked to hold the gas over his mouth and nose whilst keeping him still, so he was fighting me but i'm glad in a sense it was me and not some surgeon doing it.
Xander was born without tonsils so i don't have to go down that route with him, but i had mine out and adenoids as a child(6 to be exact), back in the day i spent nearly a week in hospital, but from what i know at our local hospital its done as an outpatient now.
I had problems with my hearing and was told i would need grommets but when they removed my tonsils they also flushed my ears which really helped the problem, so no grommets were needed - not sure if this is an option for your daughter. It also stopped me suffering with repeat infections.
Hope all goes well

stacey

• VIP
sorry to add our hospital says if they have sleep apnoea, they have to stop in over night in hdu bed, as chloe will, you may need to ask about this?

• VIP
i will have to ask about that then, i thought they have to stay in over night anyway when they have their tonsils out so i was planning on her being in overnight but maybe im wrong