• Administrators
Well Corinne was the winner for the April 2010 spotlight.
The spotlight is a chance to set the same 10 questions for a diffrent member each month.
Corinne is our first and feel free to ask any questions to the member.

So here it is.............

Questions

1) Tell us about your childs disability and age?
Matt is severely autistic and is nearly 17 (about 7 weeks away)

2) Tell us about the day you got the diagnosis?
hmmmmm we had gone for an appointment with a paed because tests for matts hearing had come back normal, we went into the office and we were given a leaflet and told "Matthew is autistic, he fits the criteria you will need an appointment with a psycologist and he needs a blood test" we had never heard of autism so didnt worry just took matt to macdonalds to make up for the blood test as the lolly just didnt impress him.

3) Who was the first person you told about your childs diagnosis and how did they react?

i think it was my mum (these questions arent fair i cant remember 15 yrs ago lol) she just said ok and carried on treating matt the way she always had which was not to let him get away with misbehaving but with me she was more understanding

4) What is your child biggest achievement to date?

erm the biggest to me was toilet training himself lol but i think his determination to do whatever he wants to get forward so his achievement is the fact he can now understand everything that is said or written down

5) What 3 tips would you give to parents of disabled children?
1)Listen to your heart not what a "professional" tells you
2)Each disabled child is unique and they are only limited by what they dont try
3)Enjoy your child, capture every smile and focus on the good times as they will outweigh the bad and remember to take time for yourselves as you will be there for your child forever and having a break be it for a few hours or days doesnt make you selfish or uncaring it makes you stronger and more able to cope with the bad times when they come

6) What has your childs disability taught you and how has it changed you?
it has taught me not to care what other people think, the most important opinion for my family is mine (or occasionally marks ) and live more for the moment

7) What did your childs diagnosis change in terms of your dreams for the future?
well i had always dreamed of being a teacher from a young age, but when i went for the interview at the college i was only 5 mins into it when i heard brother bringing matt back because he couldnt cope with him and i knew i would have to put my dreams on hold, i have got to say, matt might have put them on hold but i am the only person who prevented the dream, i was going to start after he started school but got ill myself sods law hehe, now its age thats stopping me

8) You run the country and you have the power to change ONE thing what would it be?
wow this is a hard one, i start off then think of other things hehe. i think i would stop ridiculous wages of everyone that earns more than the prime minister (footballers earn more in a week than PM does in a year) no wonder they fiddle their expenses

9) What organisation has delivered excellent service when dealing with any aspect of your childs disability?
i dont have anyone i can say has delivered excellent service apart from perhaps the new respite unit and as thats still in assessment stages it doesnt really count.

10) Have you ever had to fight for something to help your childs disability?
when matt was 3 we were told that he would be attending the local nursery as there was nothing wrong with him, in those days they didnt change nappies so i would be on call and would have to take him home when he needed changing and he wouldnt be able to go back till next day. he had been at full time college nursery for about a year by then and i didnt think it was in his best interests to go part time so i got in touch (well mum did) with local special needs school and told the ed psych that he was starting there not the nursery he insisted on, then we had to fight to get 1:1 as he wasnt learning as he was ahead of the Children and needed more stimulation. seems we have been fighting for almost everything but some things took less fighting than others (still fighting the respite )
Looking for sensory toys at affordable prices then look no further

Sensory toys for children with special needs CLICK HERE

• Administrators
Excellent spotlight Corinne and thanks for being the first. Smile
Looking for sensory toys at affordable prices then look no further

Sensory toys for children with special needs CLICK HERE

• Administrators
awww excellent Big Grin i love reading about peoples lives Smile great story Smile

xx

• Registered
I was expecting a far more 'juicy' set of questions, well answered Corrine Smile

• Administrators
lol now now....this is a clean forum Big GrinBig Grin

xx