• Registered
(10-23-2009, 06:42 AM)cathrine Wrote: we also had the same problem with smearing our OT got a safespace installed it has be a godsend as fully washable we still have his old safespace its big 8FTx8FT and needs a couple of small repairs to the zip take alook at the link

http://www.safespaces.co.uk/

they look cool dont they, my daughter is the smearer. its defintly a sensory issue as mostly she just smears her or my tv. she they ends up painting her own body and it then gets all over as she walks around or gets in bed. the thing is she is slient when she does it, after being put to bed you would think she was fast asleep as she doesnt make a peep for hours she wakes later and cries because its finally bothering her. or if she is up and about she undresses and goes and hides. when you know she is doing something she gets angry that you are near her, which i have taken as a sign shes not done - then she goes off to smear the tv. she gets upset if shes caught and removed for the bath then i get hit. its not everyday its maybe once or twice a week and no matter how often i check or closely watch her she still manges to do without anyone noticing.

as for the safespace i think she might like to play in it, but she has to be free to wander from room to room. i have made the house as safe as possible as she has never been able to stay in one room. my other son who has autism and adhd is the complete opposite of my daughter. they have different types of autism, my daughter is middle autistic spectrum and my son isnt higher fuctioning somewhere below that. now he would like to play in it too - then they would fight in probably. they have to be watched when they are together as they fight all the time.

• Registered
we only use it for night times we have lights ballpools projecter light what shines onto a plain white wall inside the safespace

kallum has the run of the house n the day but even thought he only sleeps2/3 hrs at the most but id happy with his lights etc....he also has a clear window where he can watch his tv and play his wii but not get to it...................it has a netted roof we have place speakers on top of the safespace so he can hear the tv without needing it very loud

• Registered
they look great and fun, its amazing whats out there. i suppose we could get two. i want to set up a sensory corner as my daughter needs over sitmulation to feel and react to things, but my son cant stand being over stimulated - he prefers to flap his hands and body (such as banging his feet alot). but i think they would both get a lot out of sensory corner or room. my son doesnt sleep much either maybe 3 - 5 hours a night but he is ok to watch a dvd and he only comes to me every 30 mins and hhis dad will go lay on the sofa while he watches tv or a dvd. i have night terror so im used to waking all the time anyway.

thankyou for posting the link, they look like a good idea and could give us a bit of rest.
(10-23-2009, 10:21 AM)Daniel Wrote: So have you now applied for the driving lessons and sent the application?

Blush, no i have all the forms but i need letters to confirm benefits. the doctor keeps phoning about me also getting mobility, i did tell her its not that simple but she is sure that she can help me get it. but i suppose we will see. ive been really greatful for the middle rate care that i get for each of my children.

• Registered
'they look great and fun, its amazing whats out there. i suppose we could get two' - when i put that i didnt notice the price. is there a grant you can get for these if a child could put themselfs in danger while not being watched? me and my partner take turns to watch the Children while cooking or attempting to clean - lol.

• Administrators
(10-23-2009, 04:58 PM)becky29 Wrote: Blush, no i have all the forms but i need letters to confirm benefits. the doctor keeps phoning about me also getting mobility, i did tell her its not that simple but she is sure that she can help me get it. but i suppose we will see. ive been really greatful for the middle rate care that i get for each of my children.
Its truly amazing your doctor is actually going to these lengths many wouldntRolleyes
In regards to the family fund i would consider that for yor carpets and stuff and use a carers grant for your driving lessons.
That way you get bothBlush
Looking for sensory toys at affordable prices then look no further

Sensory toys for children with special needs CLICK HERE