Posts: 110 | Threads: 11
Joined: Apr 2010
Reputation: 0

  • VIP
Hi we were quite lucky when applying to be rehoused as my partners work got involved and put alot of pressure on the council to move us, we had a council flat within 4 mths! I think you need to try and get someone on your side, ie a councelor from your local district maybe? Councils seem to hurry things along when there is a third party as it makes them look bad, however as you have a disabled child you should be put as a high prioity on the waiting list. Do you know how far up the list you are?

Louise xx
Posts: 449 | Threads: 65
Joined: Mar 2010
Reputation: 0

  • VIP
I'm not looking to be rehoused, we were rehoused here 2 years ago, on a promise that this property would be adapted for us. After we'd moved in they started umming and arring over the adaptations, until I contacted a local counsellor who fought on my behalf until they promised to do the work.
I've got a meeting with an architect on Friday now to view the plans, but they won't consider anything for storage of all his equipment, even though I can barely get to his bed as he has a pram, physio rolls, and a chair in there amongst other things! Goodness knows what it will be like when they fit the hoist in, and I'm assuming at some point he'll need a special bed (he's currently in a single bed with a frame round, which was originally the top of a set of bunk beds)
Heart Raising the awareness of encephalitis, one baby step at a time.....Heart
Posts: 12 | Threads: 0
Joined: May 2010
Reputation: 0

  • Registered
Anyone who has a disabled child can get a DFG regardless of whether they own their own home or live in a council house/housing association property. The grant amount is around £30,000 maximium if I remember rightly which means anything extra over that amount has to be paid for by the family..it will usually cover just the basics although it can depend on the OT who doing the application..some are better at getting things than others!!! You also have to agree to stay in the house for a minimum of five years after the work has been done or you have to reimburse the council. Unfortunately you really do often have to fight your corner as they will usually go for the cheapest option..not necessarily what is best for the child.
Posts: 1,725 | Threads: 21
Joined: Nov 2009
Reputation: 0

  • Moderators
it can depend on the type of disability as well melanie, we asked for a dropped kerb and driveway to be put in as its a busy road and we regularly couldnt park near our house and we were told as matt isnt in a wheelchair they couldnt help, they did put in a dropped kerb when i said that was discrimination and it was dangerous for him to get out of car on busy road (near a school) but that i would have to pay for the driveway myself, that was 5yrs ago and i have a dropped kerb that i park in front of so no walking down street with him but i cant afford to have driveway done yet they tried to force me to have a downstairs shower fitted when they made downstairs toilet indoors even though matt was scared of showers hehe
There comes a point in your life when you realize:Who matters,Who never did,Who won't anymore...And who always will..
So, don't worry about people from your past,there's a reason why they didn't make it to your future.
Posts: 7,752 | Threads: 3,202
Joined: Oct 2009
Reputation: 11

  • Administrators
Many local councils wont even pay for a dropped kerb now days just offer a discount.
Looking for sensory toys at affordable prices then look no further

Sensory toys for children with special needs CLICK HERE

Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)