• Administrators
I do also worry about when Euan starts school as he will be the smallest in his class over the school life and i worry that someone may bully him.
From my male ego point of view when someone hurts Emily in my head i say "Do it back" and then my dads head kicks in and i have to try and offer "Sensible advice" to stop her getting into trouble and saying but my dad said........
Im not sure how ill react when Euan starts school as i think ill be hopping on my crutches to tell the other parents off Big Grin
I know ill be too over protective of him but you know the funny thing is i dont care if i am,to me he's my special boy and deserves to be treated better than by some idiots with no common sense but i suppose there only Children but the frustrating thing is that many Children get the stuff from home with the things they say.

Do what you feel is right for both you and your boy and ask him what he wants as well and see where it can end.
If there is a chance the boy and your boy can make it up offer him round one of the nights after school and see if they can do some good old male bonding Smile
At very least try and get him into some clubs and meet freinds that way and see if his confidence grows around others.
Boys can be cruel but from experience we can be fighting one minute and best freinds the next and tend to not hold grudges as much as girls at school ever did.
But then some boys are just damm right evil bullies and if i were you then id speak to the school on the secret and just ask for them to keep an eye but not to mention anything yet.
Looking for sensory toys at affordable prices then look no further

Sensory toys for children with special needs CLICK HERE

• Registered
Thanks both. It is difficult - he won't just join clubs because of his social issues (which comes with aspergers). However, these friends have given him some confidence and he has now joined one after school club and a similar club (basketball) on a Sunday. I asked him if he would still go and he says he will.

It seems to be coming from just one boy and the others are still okay with my son so hopefully that will be the end of it. He will just have to stay away when the one boy is around. Fortunately they don't all go out together too often.

As regards inviting over after school, that's a non-starter for us because we live so far away from the school (15 miles). I am looking to move closer.

As you said, boys get over these things a lot quicker than girls and he's already much happier and not paying any more attention to their vile treatment towards him two days ago. He's even had a straight talking discussion with one friend, asking him why it happened and whose idea it was. I thought that was really mature of him.

Thanks again.
By the way - he's already in the two clubs mentioned above and army cadets so he's got plenty going on in his life thank goodness.

He doesn't make friends easily and is painfully shy about joining clubs. Basketball and cadets have both come about through friends. Even when the friends stop going, he's then happy to carry on because he's then familiar with it.

Cheers.

• VIP
hi my son has autism and is also 14. He has had a great deal of difficulty making friends and keeping them at this time he has 1 friend who he sees at our pool for swimming lessons. This other lad also has LD and is in a MLD school, my son has not got LD other than what Autism does for him. The other lad does not seem to notice that my son is different and they have an understanding with each other. The other lad helps my son to talk to other children and they even talk about girls together. I never thought he would make a real friend one that isnt out to hurt or make fun of my friend. The swimming was a great way to meet other children my son is in the club where other culbs have failed. I think its because it is not a team sport more an indivual sport. My son has struggled with the other boys at the club with teasing ect but the coaches help my son a lot. My son is now teaching younger children to swim and is doing a good job as well, he takes his responsibilities well especially as its his obsesion at the moment. My advice is whatever your son does well try and find him a place within that enviroment to increase his confidencr and feel good about himself, as he gets older he will mix with other people who will treat him with respect and enjoy his company. Maybe even work experience or saturday job can get him mixing with people hopefully with the same interests as your son.

• Registered
It's fantastic that your son is doing such a good job of teaching youngsters Julie. Good for him. Clubs surrounding interests/obsessions are always useful. My son is interested in guns (eeeek) and so army cadets was a really good way to allow him to handle guns in a controlled environment. I'm hoping that through this controlled exposure, he'll get over his keen interest - because believe me, I will never allow him to have a gun at home (in spite of his protestations about it being legal to have an air rifle when he's however old!)!!!

I'm delighted at his new interest - basketball - particularly as it's a team sport. Long may this continue.

Thanks everone.