• VIP
(05-05-2010, 01:02 PM)sclarke19 Wrote: Hi everyone - thank you all so much for sharing your thoughts and experiences. Lucie'smum you definitely struck a chord with me when i read that, I feel exactly the same.
Graysonmum - I feel really sad for you having the geneticist saying that, I can imagine that that has had a big impact on you and it's unfair and wrong. It's not up to anyone else when or how many children you may have. It's entirely yourself and your partners decision. Even if you had a diagnosis you still wouldn't know what to expect with another pregnancy, you would worry either way so waiting a few years surely isn't going to make a world of difference?
I started this thread coz it's an issue that's with me everyday - I can't even watch 'baby' TV programs without ending up in tears as it's such a frightening prospect. When i do start feeling a bit overwhelmed i try and remember how lucky I am to be able to have 1 child. People don't really know how I feel about having other children - It's a 'must' for me - but people that have no idea how much hard work it is looking after a special needs child say things so flippantly. It is a huge decision and i'm just hoping that 1 day i will wake up and think - the time is now right! xxx

Thanks so much for the reply.
Wow we sound the same, I had made the decision when was pregnant with Grayson I wanted 4 children and very close together, so in a sense I feel stripped, every month I say to my husband this month I want to try and then someone frightens me or makes a comment about whether I can cope.

I watch baby programs and constantly torture myself, I ask myself will I get a child that can....?

I hope life brings you what you urge for, I am learning to ignore other peoples comments, once you have a beautiful child like ours you learn to get a tough skin. xxx

• VIP
hi i have a nearly four year old boy charlie who has autisim and now have a 8 month old baby girl called lily. it is very hard as i havent got much support and charlie is very demanding but you just learn to cope. iim not planning on having any more as two is enough hard work. as charlie is like having a baby as he still on formula milk and in nappies and wakes frequently through the night. wouldnt change them for the world though.
Smile .. smile life is too short ..Smile

• VIP
(05-10-2010, 07:41 AM)graysonsmum Wrote:
(05-05-2010, 01:02 PM)sclarke19 Wrote:

Thanks so much for the reply.
Wow we sound the same, I had made the decision when was pregnant with Grayson I wanted 4 children and very close together, so in a sense I feel stripped, every month I say to my husband this month I want to try and then someone frightens me or makes a comment about whether I can cope.

I watch baby programs and constantly torture myself, I ask myself will I get a child that can....?

I hope life brings you what you urge for, I am learning to ignore other peoples comments, once you have a beautiful child like ours you learn to get a tough skin. xxx

I'm the same as you, i would love 4 children, I currently have 3, 2 with special needs and we have a 1 in 2 chance of having another child with CDCS. So the odds are stacked against us. My husband would love more (loads more) and he doesn't care if there special needs or not, he's brilliant. We had plans on maybe having another child when jessica turns 10, depending on what Nicole was like as a teenager, to see if we could cope. But i don't know if that would be a bit to late (i'll be 36) and starting all over again from scratch. I really don't know what to do...
HeartHeart Stacy HeartHeart
Mother to Terry 10 MLD + ADHD, Nicole 9 Cri-du-chat Syndrome ADHD Asthma GDD Coarctation, Jessica 4 Cri-Du-Chat Syndrome GDD Reflux

• Registered
i have an 8 year old girl with autism, and now a 15month baby. i was realy worried but my daugher loves her little sister and although i have to be careful not to leave them alone together i feel she has developed with her tolerance and understanding. unfortunately my 15 month baby has sice been diagnosed with fragile x so has her own difficulties but i dont regret it, how could i! they are both happy girls who i hope will grow up supporting and looking out for each other.