• Registered
Thanks I'll look into that, i'm still keeping a dairy i will fill in the times after a week of doing this. but i don't know what to put in the minutes box for communicating and interacting as she can't she has no speech or non-verbal comms shall i leave it blank? also i need to put all the time in a couple i.e. someone keeping an eye on the child and help with movement and development skills what do i put there?

• Administrators
This is where you should play to your strengths.
Rather than leaving it blank see it as an opportunity.
Explain why your child wont communicate and stress the things you do in terms of care to encourage commuication or ways you aid the communication of your daughter.
For example how do you deal with her when she is trying to communicate yet frustrated?

In regards to putting times in this is why i ALWAYS say keep a diary as its very easy to forget how much you actually do as its your normal routine now yet when you write it down and break it up into segments across the day you will realise how much you actually do.
I discourage leaving empty spaces where possible and try to focus on why your child is not reaching these milestones and what YOU are doing in regards to care to make up for this and what you are doing to help encourage.

It shows in detail the care you are providing.

Lets say for example there was an imaginary question.
Lets say:

How quickly does your child climb stairs (Just a imaginary question)

Rather than leaving it blank or writing Does not climb stairs this gives you an opportunity.

So a demo answer could be something along the lines of:

Due to Joe Bloggs condition he is unable to walk on the stairs either on his own or with support therefore me or my partner need to assist Joe Bloggs by carrying him up the stairs,when we carry Joe Bloggs up the stairs he gets upset and frustrated that he cannot do it himself and this results in him becoming tearful for 5 minutes in which we have to sit with Joe Bloggs and comfort him until he is not as upset.
We provide this care both in the morning and at night and when the need arises during the day or evening.

So the above is an example on how providing care to a child who cannot achieve a skill or milestone can actually the work that goes into caring for your child.
And by detailing the care it builds up a much bigger picture of care needs.

DLA forms when completed in such a way stand much more of a chance of being accepted.
Looking for sensory toys at affordable prices then look no further

Sensory toys for children with special needs CLICK HERE

• Registered
Good yes thanks that's helped me i deffo won't leave any blank, but is it ok ok put constant all the time in the minutes box or do i state that in the comment box?

• Administrators
I would usally advise that you put actual times in regards to minutes in the day as otherwise the examiner does thing how can it be like this 24/7 even though we know things can be intense they dont see it like that.
So giving an exact sort of estimate shows clearly whats needed and when.
Looking for sensory toys at affordable prices then look no further

Sensory toys for children with special needs CLICK HERE

• Registered
You really are a mine of information Daniel! That has just helped me with doing our forms as sometimes I may need to help my daughter transfer up to 15 times a day and each time causes her pain and distress so it's not just the assistance with the task, there's the care and emotional support. I thought I would remember to put everything on the forms but thanks........... you're a star!