• Registered
im wondering what senco should have been doing for my child all this time, why she is just finding out now he hasnt cope well for quite some time on the learning front. ive actually been to talk to her a few times and shes brushed me off to someone else. possibly tomorrow im just going to nip all the games in the bud and go to the headteacher, shes been nice to me in the past.

the only way the school could offer him 'exactly' what he needs is to drop him to reception class again, and even in reception class he needed a lot of support and he still will need the same amount. but from someone elses point of view that could be classed as taking him back instead of moving on - but the fact that we are in this position speak volumes. but they dont seem to be bothered, his teacher and keyworkers are bothered but they are putting their necks out just by letting me know. im going to get in touch with parent partnership and i have a family support worker coming to my home on monday morning.

• Moderators
my son is now 16 but i had similar problems when son was young.
the advantage of special needs schools is you dont move up because your age says you have to you stay in the class that is best for you and having smaller classes is always better. if your son has interests in cameras and computers they will work his school learning around this (my sons obsessions are buses,cameras and computers lol) so they would have him counting how many buses in picture and so on. Autistic people learn when they want to they can be very stubborn my son is just learning to talk as he has decided he wants to now :cmas_emoticon031: so i wouldnt worry too much about the level of learning he is at he will catch up at his own pace as long as he is somewhere that allows him. Must say i not a fan of mainstream schools unless the autism is mild unless its an exceptional school or one with a special unit.
corinne

• Registered
hi corrine, thankyou for posting. my sons current obbession is 'super powers', he had genetics testing yesterday and was so upset (naturally) and for hours after. but the most thing upsetting him was that he couldnt understand what they want the blood for, so i said they are testing it for super powers. hes really excited now and has been telling his teacher all about it.

the only way hes going to learn if the school take him back to his mental age and he learns through play. a special school will be so much fun for him, and maybe he wont ever learn to count past 4 or write his name im ok with that.

can i ask more about your son, it will be really good if you could advise some of the other mums and dads here that are having problems that you might have been through. and hopefully we will beable to offer advise, support and a place to unload here.

• Administrators
(11-27-2009, 12:26 PM)corinne Wrote: my son is just learning to talk as he has decided he wants to now :
Wow thats so nice to hear.
Did you ever see that coming or did you give up hope of him ever talking?
Such inspiration to others :cmas_emoticon019:
Looking for sensory toys at affordable prices then look no further

Sensory toys for children with special needs CLICK HERE

• Moderators
Becky
if i can help anyone i am happy to give any advice if its something i have been through and over the years we have had a lot of different things go on lol

Daniel
i was told when matt was about 5 that he would never talk or gain any understanding and would stay in nappies but at 8 he took his nappy off and went to the toilet lol and now the last couple of years he has been making us write anything we say down and repeat it so he can say it back, its not easily understandable but the "college" he is at now is starting to give him more speech therapy than he was getting as they agree that he will talk and he can understand everything that is said so we have to be very careful when talking in front of him now lol
just goes to show that things do get better:cmas_emoticon019:
corinne