• Registered
My son will be starting school next September and as the time comes closer im finding myself sick in my stomach with worry about it all.
My son is really scared of change and if somethings not right he freezes for minutes at a time and then just screams and im worried about how he will cope.
Can any parents please give me any advice on how you found your child went to school and did it really mess them around?
Is there anything you did to make it work better or can you make any suggestions?
Maybe its just me being a concerned mother and over reacting.
Also do i need to do a sen is this required?
Im finding things a little confusing as ive neva been through this before and im just glad i found this forum and hope people can help me.

Love

Poppy

XxXx

• Registered
you could request a meeting before starting school, have it with the headteacher and you can find out what things they have in place for special needs children. even without a diagnosis still tell them everything that your child is being assessed for and your concerns too. you could make a list of things your child finds stressful and then they can be prepared for transision times. i thought my son wouldnt cope but because of the extra support (and starting full time school is mostly play and they can use this to make things easier on your child).

i know how you feel when your put you feel sick, my daughter who is only 3 1/2 and has autism was going to be made to go to mainstream nursery. at the moment she is at a special placement which is fantastic the level of care is like my own, but it only runs for 3 days (but they run through the hoildays) they only have 4 other children in her afternoon setting instead of the usual number of 12. a woman from communications and interaction was telling me she would just have to make do and go to mainstream and be in a class with 30 children. i was in shock as the thought of her being distressed by all the noise and headbutting the floor just turned my stomach. in the end i just told my daughters peadtrician (sp?) how i just felt ill at the thought and she said that the choice was totally up to me and i should take her name off the list. as it happens she can now stay where she is untill she is five so all the worry was for nothing and ive lost all respect for communications and interaction team.

if after your visit you dont feel right look around other schools you may have to travel but the right school is very important (and some councils can provide taxi's). come back and let us know how you are getting on.

• Registered
It can be a tough choice but its one which allows your child to grow and be independent as much as they can.
Its hard i know but we really cant hold on forever as much as we would like.
Stick with things and im sure your son will be happy with it eventually

• Registered
i called the school and they suggested going into see them next week and see whats suited to us as a family.

• Registered
well we went to view the school and i took along my little lad to see how he went along with the flow.
At first when the receptionist said hello he hid below a desk and cried and did not want to come out.
When i did manage to coax him out he walked around the school holding my hand and would not mix with anybody even the children.at one point the teacher of the nursery class took him by the hand to lead him to the other children who were playing in the sand and at this stage he bit the teachers hand and ran off outside and sat on the floor crying.
I decided to leave at this stage as it was clearly worrying him and i did not know what to do.
I have arranged to view the school without him and have a meeting to discuss his needs but this has now left me feeling anxious and worried about the process and dont know what 2 do.